This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Wood at the 2011 British Soap Awards
|Born||Jake Dylan Wood
12 July 1972
Westminster, London, England
|Alma mater||Anna Scher Drama School|
|Known for||Grease Monkeys (2003)
Strictly Come Dancing (2014)
Jake Dylan Wood (born 12 July 1972) is a British actor, best known in his native United Kingdom for playing Max Branning in long-running BBC soap opera EastEnders and in the United States as the voice of the GEICO gecko.
His first acting role was in the 1984 television series The Gentle Touch.
He has since appeared in several television series including May to December, Minder, Only Fools and Horses, Nightingales, Murder in Mind, Press Gang, London's Burning, Sean's Show, Inspector Morse, One Foot in the Grave, Red Dwarf, A Touch of Frost, The Bill, Le Café des Rêves, Sea of Souls Doc Martin, The Thin Blue Line and has appeared in the films Vera Drake (2004), The Aryan Couple (2004), The Illusionist (2006) opposite Edward Norton and "Dad Savage" (1998) with Patrick Stewart.
Wood starred in the 1989 Yellow Pages TV Advert, entitled "Party Party" and, as of the 2010s, has been the voice of the GEICO gecko ads on American television. Wood also featured alongside Cobent CTO and ex-Metal Hammer journalist Tony Dillon as part of a team presenting Click, a computer games magazine on VHS video in the early 1990s.
Wood also played the eldest son, Dougie, in sitcom family The Wilsons.
In June 2006, he joined the BBC soap opera EastEnders playing Max Branning. In March 2008, he took paternity leave and re-appeared on screen on 23 June 2008. For his work in EastEnders, he has won awards at the British Soap Awards and Inside Soap Awards.
In the 8th series of Red Dwarf he played Kill Crazy, a prison inmate.
In May 2015, Wood announced that he would be taking a year long break from EastEnders. Wood said "I have been at EastEnders for nine years and I feel the time is right to give Max a break. It won't be for too long as I shall be back next year to see Max face another chapter of drama."In January 2018 Wood will be doing a new Podcast show for boxing, this was revealed on his Twitter account.
- "BBC One – Strictly Come Dancing, Series 12 – Jake Wood". BBC. Retrieved 19 May 2015.
- "Jake Wood on TV.com". TV.com. Retrieved 8 December 2010.
- Appearances Can Be Deceptive on IMDb
- "The Wilsons Cast and Crew on TV.com". TV.com. Archived from the original on 29 June 2011. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- Daly, Emma (24 August 2014). "Soap stars Jake Wood and Sunetra Sarker sign up for Strictly Come Dancing 2014". Radio Times. Retrieved 22 November 2017.
- "Jake Wood to take EastEnders 'break'". BBC. 28 May 2015. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- "Football – Lawro's Premier League predictions". BBC. 6 February 2011. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- "BBC – Tyne – Great North Run – GNR 2007: At the finish". BBC. Retrieved 6 March 2011.