|Star Wars location|
|First appearance||Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)|
Jakku is a fictional desert planet first featured in the 2015 Star Wars film The Force Awakens. Remote, lawless, and inhospitable, it is the homeworld of main character Rey, played by Daisy Ridley. The film focuses on two distinct localities, Tuanul Village and Niima Outpost, near a starship graveyard.
Jakku is a setting in the 2015 Star Wars film The Force Awakens, and its novelization. The homeworld of main character Rey, it is a harsh and inhospitable desert planet on the outskirts of the galaxy. In the film, Resistance X-wing fighter pilot Poe Dameron (Oscar Isaac) comes to Jakku seeking vital information held by explorer Lor San Tekka (Max von Sydow). Poe is captured by the First Order but leaves the data behind with his astromech droid BB-8. He escapes with the help of turncoat stormtrooper Finn (John Boyega), but Poe is presumed dead when their ship crashes in the desert. Meanwhile, BB-8 has befriended local scavenger Rey (Ridley); pursued by the First Order, she and Finn flee Jakku with the droid aboard the Millennium Falcon.
The planet was first seen in the 88-second The Force Awakens teaser trailer released by Lucasfilm in November 2014. The Force Awakens writer/director J. J. Abrams first mentioned its name at Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim, California in April 2015, identifying Jakku as the setting in the trailers and revealing that it is where the character Rey lives.
Claudia Gray's 2015 novel Lost Stars depicts some of the Battle of Jakku, the final confrontation between the forces of the Galactic Empire and the Rebel Alliance over the planet, that showered starship wreckage down onto the surface. The 2015 reference book Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary by Pablo Hidalgo establishes that this battle occurs one year and four days after the Battle of Endor depicted in Return of the Jedi, and proves to be the last major stand of the Empire and last major battle of the Galactic Civil War. Twenty-nine years later, around the time of The Force Awakens, the debris field in the desert is called the Starship Graveyard.
Jakku appears or is mentioned in multiple other works, including Wendig's novels Aftermath (2015) and Aftermath: Life Debt (2016), The Weapon of a Jedi (2015) by Jason Fry, and the 2015 short stories "High Noon on Jakku" (2015) and "All Creatures Great and Small" by Landry Q. Walker.
Other media and merchandising
The 2015 action shooter video game Star Wars Battlefront features downloadable content (DLC) titled Battle of Jakku, which includes two maps set on the planet. Jakku is also a location in the Lego-themed 2016 action-adventure video game Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- De Semlyen, Phil (November 26, 2015). "Exclusive: Empire reveals names of new Star Wars planets". Empire. Retrieved November 28, 2015.
- Shepherd, Jack (January 7, 2016). "Star Wars: The Force Awakens: 16 questions the novel answers". The Independent. Retrieved June 15, 2016.
- Taylor, Chris (December 29, 2015). "27 Star Wars: The Force Awakens questions answered by the novel". Mashable. Retrieved June 15, 2016.
- "Databank: Jakku". StarWars.com. Retrieved February 10, 2017.
- Truitt, Brian (January 17, 2016). "Exclusive: Star Wars: Poe Dameron comic book debuts in April". USA Today. Retrieved February 15, 2016.
- Young, Bryan (December 14, 2015). "Star Wars: Everything We Know About the Planet Jakku (So Far)". HowStuffWorks. Retrieved March 16, 2017.
- "Watch the Incredible Star Wars: The Force Awakens Trailer". Rolling Stone. November 28, 2014. Retrieved January 1, 2016.
- Lewis, Andy (December 1, 2014). "Trailer Report: Star Wars Teaser Beats Age of Ultron In Debut". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 2, 2014.
- Ratcliffe, Amy (August 29, 2016). "8 Things You Might Not Know About the Creatures of The Force Awakens". StarWars.com.
- Oswald, Anjelica (January 6, 2016). "The exotic real-life locations where scenes in the new Star Wars were shot". Business Insider. Retrieved March 16, 2017.
- Hidalgo, Pablo (2015). Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary. New York, N.Y.: DK. pp. 34–35. ISBN 978-1-4654-3816-4.
- Fry, Jason (2015). Star Wars: Rey's Survival Guide. ISBN 9780794435691.
- Trendacosta, Katharine (February 22, 2017). "Everything That Aftermath: Empire's End Reveals About the New Star Wars Universe". Gizmodo. Retrieved February 22, 2017.
- Keane, Sean (February 21, 2017). "Star Wars Aftermath: Empire's End brings trilogy to a thrilling conclusion: book review". New York Daily News. Retrieved February 24, 2017.
- Colbert, Stephen M. (March 7, 2017). "Star Wars: What's So Special About Jakku?". Screen Rant. Retrieved March 16, 2017.
- Dyer, Mitch (April 17, 2015). "Star Wars Celebration: Free Battle of Jakku Battlefront DLC revealed". IGN. Retrieved April 18, 2015.
- "How to get Battle of Jakku DLC". Electronic Arts. April 17, 2015. Retrieved April 19, 2015.
- "Star Wars Battlefront Jakku Pre-Order Offer". Electronic Arts. April 17, 2015. Retrieved April 19, 2015.
- Plunkett, Luke (January 2, 2016). "LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens Is Coming Soon". Kotaku. Retrieved March 16, 2017.
- "LEGO Star Wars Summer 2016 Sets: Encounter on Jakku!". BrickToyNews.com. February 24, 2016. Retrieved March 16, 2017.
- "Encounter on Jakku (75148)". Brickset.com. 2016. Retrieved March 16, 2017.