Jalan Besar MRT station
|Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) station|
|Location||90 Jalan Besar|
|Operated by||SBS Transit DTL (ComfortDelGro Corporation)|
|Platforms||2 (1 island platform)|
|Opened||21 October 2017|
|Previous names||Sungei Road|
Jalan Besar MRT station is an underground Mass Rapid Transit station on the Downtown Line in Rochor, Singapore. The station is located under Jalan Besar, at the junction with Weld Road, hence its name.
The station was first announced as Sungei Road MRT station in August 2010. The former Sungei Road Thieves' Market was located next to this station. Jalan Besar station is within walking distances to Rochor MRT station and Bugis MRT station, but there is no free transfer between these stations.
The station was first announced as Sungei Road station on 20 August 2010 when the 16 stations of the 21-kilometre (13 mi) Downtown Line Stage 3 (DTL3) from the River Valley (now Fort Canning) to Expo stations were unveiled. The station was the latest addition to the initial plans for the DTL3. The line was expected to be completed in 2017. Contract 935 for the construction and completion of Sungei Road station was awarded to Leighton Offshore Pte Ltd - John Holland Pty Ltd (Singapore Branch) Joint Venture at a sum of S$171.46 million (US$136.32 million) in May 2011. Construction of the station and the tunnels commenced in June that year and was targeted to be completed in 2017.
The construction had begun in July 2011 when the Pasar Lane and Pitt Street was closed to make way for Downtown Line with the road realigned on 6 April 2012.
On 31 May 2017, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) announced that the station, together with the rest of DTL3, will be opened on 21 October that year. Passengers were offered a preview of the station along with the other Downtown Line 3 (DTL 3) stations at the DTL 3 Open House on 15 October.
The station is located in close proximity to Rochor MRT station. Since March 2018, passengers can transfer between the two stations without a fare penalty, therefore skipping the loop of the Downtown Line.
- "Downtown Line 3 Station Names Shortlisted for Public Polling". www.lta.gov.sg. 1 June 2011. Archived from the original on 25 April 2016.
- "Downtown Line 3 Station Names Finalised". www.lta.gov.sg. 19 August 2011. Archived from the original on 31 December 2013.
- "Downtown Line 3 Station Locations Unveiled Faster Access for Residents in the East to the City and Marina Bay Area". www.lta.gov.sg. 20 August 2010. Archived from the original on 25 April 2016.
- "Alignment of DTL3" (PDF). www.lta.gov.sg. Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 April 2016. Retrieved 12 December 2020.
- "DTL Station Locations" (PDF). www.lta.gov.sg. Archived from the original (PDF) on 31 December 2013. Retrieved 12 December 2020.
- "LTA Awards Contracts for Expo and Sungei Road stations | Press Room | Land Transport Authority". www.lta.gov.sg. 29 April 2011. Archived from the original on 25 April 2016.
- "LTA | News Room | News Releases | Factsheet: Downtown Line 3 to Open on 21 October 2017". www.lta.gov.sg. Archived from the original on 22 April 2020. Retrieved 22 April 2020.
- Alkhatib, Shaffiq Idris (21 October 2017). "Downtown Line 3 opens to public". The Straits Times. Archived from the original on 6 April 2019. Retrieved 20 August 2020.
- "Opening of Downtown Line Stage 3". The Straits Times. The Straits Times. Archived from the original on 31 May 2017. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- "News Room - News Releases - It's Rail Fun at the Downtown Line 3 Open House on 15 October!". www.lta.gov.sg. 10 August 2017. Archived from the original on 21 August 2020. Retrieved 21 August 2020.
- "Commuters can exit and re-enter rail system without penalty". The Straits Times. Retrieved 3 January 2021.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jalan Besar MRT Station.|