Location in Punjab, India
|Named for||Area inside the water or King Jalandhara|
|• Administrator of District||Shruti Singh|
|• Total||2,632 km2 (1,016 sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Prior to the Partition of India, Jalandhar was also the headquarters of the Jalandhar Division, with constituent districts Jalandhar, Hoshiarpur, Ludhiana, Ferozepur and Kangra. The entire Jalandhar Division was awarded to India when Punjab was partitioned.
According to the 2011 census Jalandhar district has a population of 2,181,753, roughly equal to the nation of Latvia or the US state of New Mexico. This gives it a ranking of 209th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 831 inhabitants per square kilometre (2,150/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 11.16%. Jalandhar has a sex ratio of 913 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 82.4%. The district also houses the largest proportion of Hindus in the state of Punjab.
- Jalandhar Division, Jalandhar District Portal, retrieved 26 July 2017.
- "Jalandhar District Population Census 2011, Punjab literacy sex ratio and density".
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
Latvia 2,204,708, July 2011 est.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 19 October 2013. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
New Mexico - 2,059,179
- "Top MBA ,MCA Colleges in North India, Punjab, Jalandhar - Apeejay Institute of Management Technical Campus".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jalandhar district.|