Houses on the Frances Slocum Trail at Jalapa
Location of Jalapa in Grant County, Indiana.
|• Total||3.2 sq mi (8.2 km2)|
|• Land||3.2 sq mi (8.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||814 ft (248 m)|
|• Density||54/sq mi (20.8/km2)|
|GNIS feature ID||436915|
Jalapa is an unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) in Pleasant Township, Grant County, Indiana, United States. As of the 2010 census it had a population of 171. The site of the Battle of the Mississinewa, fought during the War of 1812, is nearby.
The first post office in Jalapa, called "Dallas", operated from 1848 until 1849. The post office was renamed "Jalapa" in 1849, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1900. The community was named after Jalapa, in Mexico.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Jalapa, Indiana". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Jalapa CDP, Indiana". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved December 5, 2016.
- Edward E. Moore (1910). A Century of Indiana. American Book Company. p. 108.
- Baker, Ronald L. (October 1995). From Needmore to Prosperity: Hoosier Place Names in Folklore and History. Indiana University Press. p. 178. ISBN 978-0-253-32866-3.
A post office established as Dallas...
- "Grant County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
|This Grant County, Indiana location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|