July 8, 1960 |
Matara Sri Lanka
|Education||Nalanda College Colombo|
|Known for||former Sri Lankan Ambassador to
USA and Mexico
|Relatives||Mahinda Rajapaksa, President of Sri Lanka
Gotabhaya Rajapaksa, Defense Secretary of Sri Lanka
Jaliya Wickramasuriya was former ambassador of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka to the United States and Mexico. He presented his credentials to former U.S. President George W. Bush on July 28, 2008. Ambassador Wickramasuriya presented his credentials to Mexican President Felipe Calderón in February 2011. Wickramasuriya previously served as Consul General of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka in Los Angeles, California from 2005 to 2008.
Wickramasuirya was born in Matara, Sri Lanka on July 8, 1960. He began his career working in the Sri Lankan tea industry. He worked for the Dilmah, a tea company. Wickramasuriya spent 18 years with Dilmah before establishing his own tea company. In 1999, he launched Ceylon Royal Tea, and a year later moved himself and his family to the United States to direct company operations from there, ultimately settling in Atlanta.
- List of Sri Lankan non-career diplomats
- Heads of missions from Sri Lanka
- Tea production in Sri Lanka
- "Biography of Jaliya Wickramasuriya". slembassyusa.org. Retrieved 4 February 2012.
- Ramachandran, Sudha (12 November 2010). "Feuds start in Sri Lanka's first family". Sri Lanka Mirror. Retrieved 4 February 2012.
- Our Diplomatic Editor (30 September 2007). "Jumbo team fumbles into diplomatic jumble". The Sunday Times (Sri Lanka). ISSN 1391-0531. Retrieved 4 February 2012.
- Fernando, Philip (2008-07-30). "Ambassador Wickramasuriya warmly welcomed at White House". Asian Tribune.
- "Sri Lankan ambassador to U.S presents credentials to president of Mexico". Ministry of Defence and Urban Development. http://www.defence.lk/new.asp?fname=20110211_03. Retrieved 30 August 2013.