Jamaica at the 2014 Winter Olympics
|Jamaica at the Olympic Games|
|At the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi|
|Competitors||2 in 1 sport|
|Flag bearer||Marvin Dixon (opening) Volunteer (closing)|
|Olympic history (summary)|
|Other related appearances|
|British West Indies (1960)|
Jamaica competed at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia from 7 to 23 February 2014. The team consisted of a two-man bobsled, marking the return of the Jamaican Bobsled Team to the Winter Olympics after a twelve year hiatus.
Jamaica currently has one sled in qualification position. The team lacking funding, the cryptocurrency Dogecoin community raised on the team's behalf $30,000 of the approximately $40,000 required within two days. An additional $80,000 was raised in online donations through Crowdtilt before 21 January. As of 15:50, 21 January 2014 (UTC), the campaign had raised $121,160 far surpassing the target of only $80,000. The Jamaican team finished the first two runs in 30th (and last) position. The next day they finished the third run in 29th place (also in last, because the Serbian team had withdrawn to injury). This meant they failed to advance to the final run and finished in 29th overall. With two athletes competing in a single event, the country did not win a medal at these Games.
|Athlete||Event||Run 1||Run 2||Run 3||Run 4||Total|
|Two-man||58.42||30||58.81||30||58.17||29||Did not advance||2:55.40||29|
* – Denotes the driver of each sled
- "Jamaican bobsled team ready for Sochi". Sharenews. 29 January 2014. Retrieved 30 January 2014.
- "Sochi 2014 Opening Ceremony - Flagbearers" (PDF). http://www.olympic.org/. Sochi 2014 Olympic and Paralympic Organizing Committee. 7 February 2014. Retrieved 7 February 2014. External link in
- "Sochi 2014 Closing Ceremony - Flagbearers" (PDF). The International Olympic Committee (IOC). February 23, 2014. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- Britell, Alexander (10 January 2014). "Jamaican Bobsleigh Team Eyes Return to Olympic Games". http://www.caribjournal.com/. Retrieved 11 January 2014. External link in
- Reynolds, Tim (18 January 2014). "Organizers say Jamaica qualified for Sochi Games". Associated Press (Yahoo Sports). Retrieved 18 January 2014.
- Alex Hern. "It's bobsleigh time: Jamaican team raises $25,000 in Dogecoin | Technology". theguardian.com. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- "Dogecoin Jamaican Bobsled Team Olympics". Business Insider. 2014-01-20. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- "Olympics: Fans help fund Jamaica bobsleigh Olympic bid". BBC News. 21 January 2014. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Help the Jamaican Bobsled team get to Sochi!". Crowdtilt.com. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- "Jamaica's Bobsledders End Sochi Dream". The Gleaner. 18 February 2014. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jamaica at the 2014 Winter Olympics.|