|Palestinian Ambassador to the Czech Republic|
11 October 2013 – 1 January 2014
|Preceded by||Mohamed Salaymeh|
|Succeeded by||Khaled al-Atrash|
|Born||3 April 1957
Shatila refugee camp, Beirut, Lebanon
1 January 2014 (aged 56)|
Prague, Czech Republic
|Political party||Fatah (1975–2013)|
Jamal al-Jamal (Arabic: جمال الجمال) was born in 1957, in Beirut's Shatila refugee camp. His family is originally from Jaffa in what is now Israel. He joined Fatah in 1975 and was appointed Deputy Ambassador to Bulgaria in 1979. Starting in 1984, he served as a diplomat in Prague, eventually as acting ambassador. Between 2005 and 2013, he functioned as consul general in Alexandria, Egypt. In October 2013, he was appointed Ambassador to the Czech Republic.
According to Czech police, al-Jamal was fatally injured in an explosion that shook his official residence on New Year's Day 2014. He died several hours after being taken to the hospital, authorities said. Czech police claim that the blast was caused by an explosive device in a safe, and that it was not a preplanned attack. Later, Czech police found illegal weapons and ammunition in the Palestinian Embassy in Prague. Czech Foreign Minister Jan Kohout later said that the incident represented "a serious violation of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations." The Mayor of Suchdol, Petr Hejl, has called for the embassy to be moved from the district.
- "New Palestinian ambassador announced - PRAGUE POST | The Voice of Prague". Prague Post. 2014-09-01. Archived from the original on 2015-11-13. Retrieved 2015-11-13.
- "Radio Prague - Khaled al-Atrash is to be the new Palestinian ambassador to the Czech Republic". Radio.cz. 2015-10-18. Retrieved 2015-11-13.
- James Legge. "Palestinian ambassador to the Czech Republic Jamel al-Jamal killed in Prague explosion while moving safe". Independent.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-11-13.
- Safe blast kills Palestinian envoy in Prague | GazetteNet.com
- "Blast Kills Palestinian, a Diplomat, in Prague". The New York Times. New York City. 2 January 2014. Retrieved 13 November 2015.
- "Palestinian ambassador to the Czech Republic Jamel al-Jamal killed in Prague blast". The Independent. 1 January 2014. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- "Palestinian Ambassador to Czech Republic dies after blast at residence". Rt.com. Retrieved 2015-11-13.
- "Blast kills Palestinian diplomat in Prague". BBC News. 1 January 2014. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- Palestinian foreign ministry statement (2014-01-02). "Czech probe into Palestinian diplomat's death". Al Jazeera English. Retrieved 2015-11-13.
- "Zbraní jak pro rotu. Ale proč Palestinci zvolili Prahu? - Aktuálně.cz". Aktualne.centrum.cz. 2009-11-30. Retrieved 2015-11-13.
- "Czech FM condemns arms at Palestinian embassy". Archived from the original on January 8, 2014. Retrieved January 8, 2014.
- "Prague Residents Against Palestinian Embassy After Explosion". 4 January 2014. Retrieved 8 January 2014.
|This article about a Palestinian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about politics in the Czech Republic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|