A Jamba Juice store in Santa Clara, California
|Founded||San Luis Obispo, California, U.S. (1990)|
Number of locations
Jamba, formerly known as Jamba Juice, is a company producing blended fruit and vegetable juices, smoothies and similar products. It has more than 800 locations and franchises in various countries.
The company is co-owned—with Moe's Southwest Grill, Schlotzsky's, Carvel, Cinnabon, McAlister's Deli, and Auntie Anne's brands—by Focus Brands, an affiliate of private equity firm Roark Capital Group, based in Sandy Springs, Georgia, operating over 6,000 stores.
Before the creation of the company, Jamba Juice was a "senior project" completed by Kirk Perron, an avid cyclist and healthy-lifestyle advocate, at California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo (Cal Poly). Jamba Juice was founded on March 31, 1990, by Perron, who opened his first store in San Luis Obispo, California. He was joined in the business by three friends: Kevin Peters, Joe Vergara, and Linda Ozawa Olds. It was incorporated in 1990 as Juice Club, Inc. in San Luis Obispo.
On March 13, 2006, Jamba Juice was acquired by Services Acquisition Corp. International for $265 million. A special-purpose acquisition company, Services Acquisition was headed by Steven Berrard, former CEO of Blockbuster Inc. Upon the closing of the transaction, the publicly traded Services Acquisition changed its name to Jamba, Inc.
In June 2006, Jamba, Inc. announced that it had completed a $35 million convertible preferred stock transaction.
The funding was led by a $19.55 million investment by Mistral Equity Partners, a private equity fund focused on consumer products and services companies, with the remaining $15.45 million investment made by a company controlled by the Serruya Family, a successful entrepreneurial Canadian-based family who founded the Yogen Früz frozen yogurt and smoothie chain.
In December 2008, Jamba began to transform the company from a smoothie shop to include wraps, sandwiches, salads and flatbreads.
In July 2009, in promoting its new line of products, Jamba Juice was criticized for running an advertising campaign which was described as a "ripoff" of the work of cartoonist David Rees. The ad campaign looked similar to Rees' "Get Your War On" series. Rees was informed of the Jamba Juice ads by a fan who sent in a letter. Rees stated that "Jamba Juice bit my style, with no credit, and it's kind of disrespectful."
In May 2016, Jamba Juice announced the move of its corporate headquarters from Emeryville, California to Frisco, Texas, citing the high costs of living and of conducting business in the San Francisco Bay Area.
In December 2007, it was announced that Jamba would be partnering with Nestlé to lend its name to a line of healthy, ready-to-drink beverages under the Jamba brand. On December 19, 2008, a press release from Nestle USA and Jamba Juice announced suspension of Jamba ready-to-drink products due to "...challenges...with manufacturing on a consistent basis, resulting in inventory and out-of-stock issues."
|Jamba Juice Innovation Bar|
|Location||Old Pasadena, Pasadena, California, USA|
|Address||60 E Colorado Blvd, Pasadena, CA 91105|
|Construction started||September 2015|
|Opened||July 14, 2016|
|Design and construction|
|Architecture firm||Bestor Architecture|
On November 16, 2015, Jamba, Inc. announced the construction of their first concept store, called the Jamba Juice Innovation Bar. Located in the center of Old Pasadena, the Innovation Bar replaced their nineteenth store, with one that was roughly double to triple the size of a typical Jamba Juice store. Alongside the usual serving of smoothies, this location also sold many other foods, including quinoa bowls, artisan hummus toast with vegetables, homemade potato chips, and various vegan foods. It was also the first location to house a WiFi-enabled dining area where customers can watch as their beverages are prepared, or meet up with other customers. Matt Kafka, who is the Senior Director of Operations at Jamba, explained it as a "cool and hip place in Southern California". Inside, the customer is greeted with mirrored wall art with photographs of various fruits, a set of television screens showing various video greetings. Jamba opened the Innovation Bar on July 14, 2016, during a ceremonial ribbon cutting at 10:00 am PDT. In early January 2017, the store abruptly closed.
- http://www.jambajuice.com/blend-in-the-good/about-jamba "How Jamba Juice Became Jamba Juice" Retrieved 2016-07-04
- "Jamba Juice Company - Company History". Fundinguniverse.com. Retrieved 2008-09-14.
- Gregg H. Hawkins | A Recipe For Success
- Jamba Juice: UFOC freefranchisedocs
- , freefranchisedocs.com
- JAMBA JUICE COMPANY AND SERVICES ACQUISITION CORP. - INTERNATIONAL ANNOUNCE MERGER, SEC
- Jennings, Lisa (June 11, 2009). "Jamba Juice to offer sandwiches and salads". NRN.com.
- "Has Jamba Juice's Controversial Ad Just Pureed Its Billion-Dollar Dreams?", FastCompany
- "Jamba Juice Announces That It Will Move To Texas." Bay City News Service at SFGate. Thursday May 5, 2015. Retrieved on May 7, 2016.
- California's Jamba Juice to relocate headquarters to Hall Office Park in Frisco. Dallas Business Journal, May 5, 2016
- Garrett, Arnessa; Robinson-Jacobs, Karen (2 August 2018). "Frisco-based Jamba Juice to be bought by Atlanta operator of Schlotzsky's". Dallas News. Retrieved 2 August 2018.
- "Focus Brands completes $200m acquisition of smoothie chain Jamba Juice". Verdict Foodservice. 14 September 2018. Retrieved 4 October 2018.
- "Nestle USA and Jamba Juice Blend Their Expertise to Create Healthy Ready-to-Drink Products", Jamba Inc., Business Wire 2007, available at http://ir.jambajuice.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=279609.
- "Nestlé USA and Jamba Announce Suspension of Jamba Ready-to-Drink Products," Jamba Inc., Business Wire 2008, available at http://ir.jambajuice.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=355145.
- "Jamba Juice Unveils One-of-a-Kind Concept Store In Pasadena". Pasadena Now. Retrieved 2017-02-03. ("The Jamba Juice Innovation Bar opens its doors after ten months of preparation this Monday.")
- "Jamba Juice to Open Innovative Concept Store in Pasadena". Business Wire. Retrieved 2017-02-03.
- "Jamba Juice opens new Innovation Bar in Pasadena, Calif". Nation's Restaurant News. Retrieved 2017-02-03.
- "Jamba Juice Innovation Bar Opens in Pasadena". The Daily Meal. Retrieved 2017-02-03.
- "Jamba Juice Celebrates Grand Opening of Innovation Bar in Pasadena, CA". Restaurant News (Press release). Retrieved 2017-02-03.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jamba Juice.|