Jamboree Heights, Queensland
|Population||3,057 (2011 census)|
|• Density||2,350/km2 (6,090/sq mi)|
|Area||1.3 km2 (0.5 sq mi)|
|LGA(s)||City of Brisbane|
|State electorate(s)||Mount Ommaney|
The western part of the original land holdings that became the Centenary Suburbs were part of the Wolston Estate, consisting of 54 farms on an area of 3000 acres, offered for auction at Centennial Hall, Brisbane, on 16 October 1901. Wolston Estate is the property of M. B. Goggs, whose father obtained the land forty years previously in the 1860s and after whom Goggs Road is named. Only three of the farms sold at the original auction.
As part of the Centenary suburbs, it offers excellent facilities such as a recently renovated large shopping centre, Fire Station, Police Station and numerous schools.
It gained its name from the fact that the area hosted an Australian Scout Jamboree in 1967/68.
In the 2011 census, Jamboree Heights recorded a population of 3,057 people, 49.4% female and 50.6% male.
The median age of the Jamboree Heights population was 36 years of age, 1 year below the Australian median.
95.3% of people living in Jamboree Heights were born in Australia, compared to the national average of 69.8%; the next most common countries of birth were New Zealand 4.7%, England 3.7%, Vietnam 3%, South Africa 2%, China 1.9%.
92% of people spoke only English at home; the next most common languages were 4% Vietnamese, 2.8% Cantonese, 2.1% Mandarin, 1% Arabic, 0.8% Gujarati.
There are multiple bus services going to and from Mount Ommaney Shopping Centre Bus Exchange to the City and other locations including:
- 454 (Riverhills, Mt Ommaney Bus Exchange, Indooroopilly, Toowong, City)
- 460 (Heathwood, Forest Lake, Mt Ommaney, Indooroopilly, City)
- 453 (Mt Ommaney, Jindalee, Indooroopilly, City)
- 106 (Mount Ommaney, Sinnamon Park, Oxley, Corinda, Sherwood, Graceville, Chelmer, Indooroopilly)
There is also a S703 run which is open to the public, but mainly school students heading to Kenmore State High School. View its route here.
Defence Force Cadets
There is an Australian Naval Cadet Training Ship (TS Vengeance) located on Moolanda Street, close to the Centenary State High School.
Find out more information on the Australian Naval Cadet website
A Police Beat is located at 31 Lanena St and can be phoned on (07) 3376 8092
A Fire Station is located at 238 Arrabri Ave and can be phoned on (07) 3279 0536
An Ambulance Station is located on Westcombe St and can be contacted on (07) 3895 3911
- National Regional Profile : Jamboree Heights (Statistical Local Area)
- "Jamboree Ward". Brisbane City Council. Brisbane City Council. Retrieved 12 March 2017.
- “Town To Be Built”, The Sydney Morning Herald, 11 November 1961. Retrieved 25 November 2017.
- "Plan of the Wolston Estate". State Library of Queensland. 1901. Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- "SALE OF WOLSTON ESTATE". The Brisbane Courier. LVIII, (13, 651). Queensland, Australia. 12 October 1901. p. 4. Retrieved 21 May 2019 – via National Library of Australia.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- "LATEST NEWS IN BRIEF". The Queenslander. LXI, (1353). Queensland, Australia. 26 October 1901. p. 780. Retrieved 21 May 2019 – via National Library of Australia.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- ourbrisbane.com website, Jamboree Heights section
- University of Queensland: Queensland Places: Jamboree Heights
|This article about a place in Brisbane is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|