Jameel Jalibi (محمد جمیل خان)
|Known for||Urdu literature and Linguistics|
|Awards||Sitara-e-Imtiaz by the President of Pakistan|
Hilal-e-Imtiaz by the President of Pakistan in 1994
|Alma mater||University of Karachi|
|Doctoral advisor||Ghulam Mustafa Khan|
|Institutions||University of Karachi|
Muhammad Jameel Khan (Urdu: محمد جمیل خان) is a noted linguist, critic, writer, and scholar of Urdu literature and linguistics from Pakistan. He also was Vice-Chancellor at the University of Karachi.
Life and career
Jameel Jalibi was born on 30,July 1929 in a Yusufzai family of Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh. His early schooling was in Aligarh. He matriculated in Saharanpur and did his Bachelor of Arts from Meerut College. One day before the partition of India, on 13 August 1947, Jalibi migrated to Karachi, Pakistan, where he continued his education and literary activities. He received a Master of Arts degree, Bachelor of Laws degree and a Ph.D from Sindh University. He then worked for the Income Tax Department of Pakistan until his retirement.
In 1983, he became Vice-chancellor of Karachi University, where he served until 1987. Then he joined the Muqtadara Quami Zaban (National Language Authority) as its Chairman. He used to associate with Karrar Hussain, Sabzwari, Jalib Dehlvi and Ghayur Ahmed Ramzi. From 1950-54, he served as co-editor of an Urdu monthly by the name of Saqi and wrote a monthly column Baatein. He also started a quarterly magazine by the name of Naya Daur.
- Pakistani Culture
- Tanqeed aur Tajarba (Criticism and Experience)
- Nai Tanqeed (New Criticism)
- Adab, Culture aur Masa'el (Literature, Culture and Problems)
- Muhammad Taqi Meer
- Maasir-e-Adab (Contemporaries Of Literature)
- Quami Zaban (National Language)
- Yak-Jehti Nafaz aur Masa'el (Solidarity Of Self and Problems)
- Masnavi Kadam Rao aur Pidam Rao
- Diwan-e-Hasan Shauqi (Collection of Hasan Sahuqi's Poetry)
- Farhang-e-Istalahaat (Dictionary of Terms)
- Qadeem Urdu Lughat (Ancient Urdu Dictionary)
- Tareekh-e-Adab-e-Urdu (History of Urdu Literature)
- Diwan-e-Nusrati (Collection of Nusrati's Poetry)
- Elliot ke Mazameen (Essays of Elliot)
- Pakistan: The Identity Of Culture
- Janwarsitan (Animalised)
- Arastoo Se Elliot Tak (From Aristotle to Elliot)
- Adbi Tehqique ( please update Publisher)
- Qaumi English-Urdu Dictionary (Jameel Jalibi: May 5th 1995)
- Tareekh-e-Urdu Adab Vol 1-4 (History of Urdu Language and Literature) (1984)
Awards and recognition
- Hilal-e-Imtiaz (Crescent of Distinction) Award in 1994 by the President of Pakistan
- Sitara-e-Imtiaz (Star of Distinction) Award by the President of Pakistan
- Baba-i-Urdu Maulvi Abdul Haq Award (National Literary Award) given by Pakistan Academy of Letters in 2006.
- Ahmad, Naseer (19 June 2008). "Critic guides writer to the right path —Jameel Jalibi". Dawn (newspaper). Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- Hilal-e-Imtiaz Award for Jamil Jalibi on The News International (newspaper) Published 2 April 2015, Retrieved 26 April 2018
- Book Review of Jamil Jalibi's book on GoogleBooks Retrieved 26 April 2018
- Pakistan Academy of Letters (PAL) announces National Literary Awards Academy of the Punjab in North America website, Published 10 August 2007, Retrieved 26 April 2018
- Dr Jamil Jalibi library to be established at Karachi University Dawn (newspaper), Published 17 May 2016, Retrieved 26 April 2018