James A. Owen
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012)|
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (March 2012)|
|James A. Owen|
|Area(s)||Writer, Artist, Publisher, Letterer|
Here, There Be Dragons
James A. Owen is an American comic book illustrator, publisher and writer. He is known for his creator-owned comic book series Starchild and as the author of The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica novel series, that began with Here, There Be Dragons in 2006.
Owen self-published the black-and-white fantasy series Starchild under his Taliesin Press imprint in the 1990s. He then changed his self-publishing name to Coppervale Press for Starchild: Crossroads and later worked with Image Comics for the start of Starchild: Mythopolis.
After the turn of the century Owen reinvented himself as a novelist, creating a fantasy series titled Mythworld for a German publishing company. In 2003, Coppervale Press relaunched two newsstand style magazines, the fine arts-oriented International Studio and the fiction periodical Argosy, but distribution problems led to both magazines ceasing publication after only a few issues, and Owen returned to focusing on producing more novels.
In 2006 Owen published Here, There Be Dragons, the first book in The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica series. The book is in its sixth hardcover printing, its eighth paperback printing, and is being published around the world in more than twenty languages. The second book, The Search for the Red Dragon, was released in early 2008, closely followed by the third novel, The Indigo King in Fall of 2008. The fourth novel in this series, entitled The Shadow Dragons, was released on October 27, 2009. The fifth novel, The Dragon's Apprentice, was released on October 19, 2010. The sixth novel, The Dragons of Winter, was released on August 28, 2012.
After releasing a non-fiction ebook of personal stories, Drawing Out The Dragons, Coppervale Press, in early 2011, Owen had a successful Kickstarter project which provided funds to create a limited first edition paperback and hard cover, as well as an audio version of the ebook.
Shadow Mountain will release The Meditations trilogy in 2013, which includes a new edition of Drawing Out The Dragons as well as The Barbizon Diaries and The Grand Design. Shadow Mountain is also publishing Owen's five-volume series of illustrated novels, Fool's Hollow, on which he will serve as the primary Art Director.
- Pryderi Terra, Book One: Awakening, 1986.
- 0. Gatherum, 1993.
- 1. Prologue: Markings and The Mad-Eyed Sorcerer, 1992.
- 2. Children of the Storm, 1992.
- 3. That Hideous Strength, 1993.
- 4. The Wild Hunt, 1993.
- 5. Toccata and Fugue, 1994.
- 6. Autumn People, 1994.
- 7. The Old Mill, 1994.
- 8. A Fine Madness, 1994.
- 9. Fool's Game, 1994.
- 10. Spirits in a Material World, 1994.
- 11. Tempest in a Looking Glass, 1994.
- 12. Awakening, 1994.
- Awakenings, 1995 (retelling of the previous Starchild books).
- The Weaver's Tale, 1995.
- The Innkeeper's Tale, 1996.
- The Wanderer's Tale, 1996.
- The Bard's Tale, 1997.
- 0. Prologue, 1997.
- 1. Pinehead, Part 1, 1997
- 2. Pinehead, Part 2, 1997.
- 3. Pinehead, Part 3, 1998.
- 4. Fisher King, Part 1, 1998.
Starchild: Mythopolis II
- Volume One, 2007.
- Volume Two, 2008,
Kai Meyers Mythenwelt (DE)
- Die ewige Bibliothek, 2002.
- Der unsichtbare Mond, 2003.
- Der zeitlose Winter, 2004.
- Die verschollene Symphonie, 2004.
The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica
- Here, There Be Dragons, September 2006.
- The Search for the Red Dragon, January 2008.
- The Indigo King, October 2008.
- The Shadow Dragons, October 2009.
- The Dragon's Apprentice, October 2010.
- The Dragons of Winter, August 2012.
- The First Dragon, November 2013.
- Drawing Out The Dragons, Shadow Mountain, February 2013 [2011, Coppervale].
- The Barbizon Diaries, Summer 2013.
- The Grand Design, Fall 2013.
- Volume 1, October 2013.
- "The Wonder Cabinet – How To Write A Series; Part Twelve", Coppervale, Live journal.
- Owen, James A (June 30, 2011), The Drawing out the Dragons project, Kickstarter.
- Jones, Ashley. "Bestselling Author James Owen to Publish with Shadow Mountain". Shadow Mountain. Retrieved February 6, 2013.
- Official website
- James A. Owen at the Comic Book DB
- James A. Owen at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database