James A. Piper
|James A. Piper|
|Institutions||University of Oxford
|Alma mater||University of Otago|
|Doctoral students||F. J. Duarte
Larry R. Marshall
|Known for||Gas lasers
Diode-pumped solid-state lasers
|Notable awards||Pawsey Medal (1982)
Walter Boas Medal (1984)
Piper studied physics at the University of Otago, New Zealand, and received a B.Sc. (Hons) in 1968. He completed a Ph.D. in atomic physics, also at Otago, in 1971. His post-doctoral research was on metal-vapour lasers, with Colin Webb at Oxford.
Laser research in Australia
Following his arrival to Macquarie University in the late 1970s, from Oxford, Piper established one of the first laser research centres in Australia. Initially he directed his research toward gas lasers, continuous wave metal ion lasers, cyclic pulsed metal vapour lasers, and metal ion recombination lasers. He also added a laser development program on high-power tunable dye lasers for various applications including atomic vapor laser isotope separation. In this area of research he is co-author, with Frank Duarte, of a number of papers on tunable laser oscillator physics.
Piper's research in solid-state lasers has focussed mainly on diode-pumped solid-state lasers and related thermal engineering, mid-infrared solid state laser materials, solid state Raman lasers, and novel self-frequency-doubling laser materials.
- 1982 Pawsey Medal, Australian Academy of Science
- 1984 Walter Boas Medal, Australian Institute of Physics
- 1994 Fellow of the Optical Society of America
- 1997 AOS Medal, Australian Optical Society
- 2004 Carnegie Centenary Professorship, Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland
- 2006 Honorary Doctorate of Science, Heriot-Watt University, Scotland
- "James Piper". Macquarie University, Sydney Australia. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- "Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research), Professor Jim Piper". Macquarie University, Sydney Australia. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- F. J. Duarte and J. A. Piper, Dispersion theory of multiple-prism beam expanders for pulsed dye lasers, Opt. Commun. 43, 303–307 (1982).
- F. J. Duarte and J. A. Piper, Narrow linewidth high prf copper laser-pumped dye-laser oscillators, Appl. Opt. 23, 1391-1394 (1984)