Adomian in 2013
January 31, 1980 |
Omaha, Nebraska, U.S.
|Occupation||Comedian, actor, impressionist|
James Adomian (born January 31, 1980) is an American stand-up comedian, actor, and impressionist. He is best known for his work on Comedy Bang! Bang!, Last Comic Standing and The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson where he impersonated President George W. Bush until 2009.
Life and career
Raised in Omaha, Nebraska, Adomian moved to Atlanta and later Los Angeles. Adomian is an alumnus of Los Angeles Baptist High School and graduated from Whittier College with a self-designed major in Economics and Theatre Arts. He is of Armenian descent.
In 2012, Adomian appeared on IFC's Comedy Bang! Bang! as PBS broadcaster Huell Howser, on Adult Swim's Childrens Hospital as Madonna and on MTV's Money from Strangers as himself, also making regular appearances as various sketch characters on Conan.
As a voice-over artist, Adomian performed on The Onion Radio News, as several recurring characters on the PBS cartoon series WordGirl, as President Bush on a few episodes of MADtv, as Jimmy Kimmel on Celebrity Deathmatch, and on a number of other cartoons.
Podcasts and internet
Since 2009, Adomian has appeared as a frequent guest on many comedy podcast episodes, including Comedy Bang! Bang!, Sklarbro Country, The Todd Glass Show, and WTF with Marc Maron, becoming well-known to audiences for his impressions and characters in the free-form internet medium. His most notable podcast impressions skew towards the absurd, unusual and high-energy, including Jesse Ventura, Huell Howser, Paul Giamatti, Gordon Ramsay, Dov Charney, food critic Merrill Shindler, Gary Busey, Tim Gunn, Richard Branson, Tom Leykis and several fellow comedians such as Todd Glass and Andy Kindler.
Adomian has released several viral internet videos in recent years, including "Hillary's Downfall" and several videos as George W. Bush. Other videos on YouTube and Funny or Die include performances as Sam Elliott, Jesse Ventura, Alan Moore, Brett Favre, Vincent Price, Orson Welles, Gary Busey, Lewis Black, wrestler Hacksaw Jim Duggan and George Zimmer from The Men's Wearhouse. He also appeared as "The Gunslinger" in Chad, Matt & Rob's Interactive Adventure, "The Treasure Hunt."
On July 2, 2014 Adomian appeared on Ken Reid's TV Guidance Counselor Podcast.
In 2015 his YouTube UCB Trump v. Sanders debate became a viral hit. In 2016 he toured America as Sanders in the Trump v. Bernie Tour.
Stand-up comedy album
In 2012, Adomian released his debut comedy album Low Hangin Fruit. The release was the first album released by Earwolf, and received mostly positive reviews. The one-hour stand-up set features personal stories, a number of celebrity impressions and political material including observations regarding the cultural perceptions of LGBT people.
Adomian frequently performs live at Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre in sketch and stand-up shows such as Comedy Bang! Bang!, Who Charted?, and many others. He is also an alumnus of the Sunday Company at The Groundlings Theatre, where he still frequently performs. He also regularly performs at "The Tomorrow Show" and other stand-up shows in Hollywood. Adomian is known for doing many impressions at live shows, both in-costume and as part of his standup act, including Vincent Price, Lewis Black, Orson Welles, Jesse Ventura, Paul Giamatti, Michael Caine, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Sam Elliott, Al Franken, Huell Howser, Christopher Hitchens, Gary Busey, John McCain, Joe Lieberman, Marc Maron, Jimmy Kimmel, Andy Kindler, Tom Leykis, Todd Glass, George W. Bush and Bernie Sanders. He has performed several impressions as recurring characters on the Comedy Bang! Bang!
Adomian often makes live appearances around the country doing standup or characters, particularly at left-wing political events like YearlyKos, Laughing Liberally, the National Conference for Media Reform and campaign events for Congressman Alan Grayson. In 2010, he made several live standup appearances across North America in the Breaking Even tour.
In 2008, he appeared with comedian Greg Giraldo at venues around the country as part of the Indecision '08 Tour produced by Comedy Central. He has performed at comedy festivals across North America, including Just for Laughs in Montreal. In March 2012, Adomian had his first overseas appearance, headlining a sell-out two night show in Seoul, South Korea for Stand Up Seoul.
Adomian toured the US with the Trump v. Bernie tour in February-March 2016.
- Hits (2014), Donovan
- Freak Dance (2011), Mickey Stardust, Zip Fleestreet, & Fraggle McWinkerbean
- The Treasure Hunt: A Chad, Matt & Rob Interactive Adventure (2011), The Gunslinger
- Miss March (2009), Deadbeat Dad (voice)
- Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay (2008), George W. Bush
- Future-Worm! (2016–present), Future-Worm!
- Star Wars Rebels (2016), Imperial Captain
- @midnight (2015), Bernie Sanders
- The Venture Bros (2015–present), Phineas Phage, Night Dick
- Talking Tom & Friends (2014–present), Talking Ben
- Childrens Hospital (2015), Reporter, Madonna
- Major Lazer (2015), General Rubbish, various voices
- Comedy Bang! Bang! (2015), Paul Giamatti, Jerry Jocks
- Kroll Show (2015), Alan the Limo Driver
- Drunk History (2014), Alexander Cochrane
- Comedy Bang! Bang! (2014), Giles Duggard, Jesse Ventura
- Childrens Hospital (2013), Louis C.K., Madonna, Freddie Mercury, Rihanna, Kate Upton
- Comedy Bang! Bang! (2013), Informant, Cab Driver
- Adventure Time (2013), Ogdoad
- Gravity Falls (2012), additional voices
- Childrens Hospital (2012), Madonna
- Comedy Bang! Bang! (2012), Huell Howser
- Conan (2011–2012), various sketch characters
- Money From Strangers (2011–2012), himself
- Last Comic Standing (2010), himself (standup)
- WordGirl (2007–present), Captain Huggyface, additional voices (voice)
- Players (2010), Barfly
- The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (2005–2009), George W. Bush
- MADtv (2006–2009), George W. Bush (voice)
- Popzilla (2009), various characters (voice)
- The Jay Leno Show (2009), Mad Doctor
- Atom TV (2008), George W. Bush
- Recount (2008), George W. Bush (voice)
- The Right Now Show (2007), Ensemble Sketch Cast Member/Various
- Cavemen (2007), Waiter
- Short Circuitz (2007), George W. Bush
- Celebrity Deathmatch (2007), Jimmy Kimmel (voice)
- Mind of Mencia (2006–2007), George W. Bush
- Yacht Rock (2005), Vincent Price
- Wenzel, John. "James Adomian Low Hangin Fruit album review". The Spit Take. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "James Adomian on Earwolf". Comedy Bang! Bang!. Retrieved 2013-10-07.
- MacDonald, Hamish. "James Adomian brings the funny to Seoul". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- McKee, Ryan. "How to Improve 'Last Comic Standing': Bring Back The House!". TV Squad. Retrieved 2011-02-24. - "When James Adomian performs, it's more exciting if you know he could be the first gay comic to win 'LCS.' Wait, you didn't even know he's gay? My point exactly. Bring back the house."
- "Probably Science : Episode 017 - James Adomian". Probablyscience.libsyn.com. 2012-04-23. Retrieved 2014-03-08.
- James Adomian on Twitter
- Official website
- Low Hangin Fruit standup comedy album on Earwolf
- James Adomian guest characters on Comedy Bang! Bang! and Sklarbro Country podcasts
- James Adomian videos on Funny or Die
- James Adomian channel on YouTube
- James Adomian at the Internet Movie Database
- "Gay Male Comics Await the Spotlight" New York Times
- "Why James Adomian's Debut is a Lock for Comedy Album of the Year" LA Weekly
- "Center Stage: James Adomian" Laugh Button
- "5 Up-And-Comers SNL Can Hire Right Now" VH1
- James Adomian: Low Hangin Fruit (AV Club review)
- "Three Comics to Watch" Time Out New York
- SXSW 2012 Comedy MVP The Huffington Post
- "Going Hollywood: Meet James Adomian" The Comic's Comic
- "Culture Surfing" interview Creative Loafing Atlanta
- Super DPS interview
- Montreal Just for Laughs "Best Impressions" Time Out New York
- "Low Hangin Fruit" album review
- "Comedy Crushes of 2009" Metromix Los Angeles
- "Best Talk Show Bush" Los Angeles Times