James Alan Soto
|James Alan Soto|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Arizona|
June 9, 2014
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||David C. Bury|
|Born||James Alan Soto
1950 (age 66–67)
|Education||Arizona State University B.S.
Arizona State University College of Law J.D.
James Alan Soto (born 1950) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Arizona and former Arizona state court judge.
Soto received a Bachelor of Science degree in 1971 from Arizona State University. He received a Juris Doctor in 1975 from Arizona State University College of Law. From 1975 to 1976, he worked in the law office of Nasib Karam. From 1976 to 1979, he was a sole practitioner of law. From 1979 to 1992, he was associated with various law partnerships. From 1992 to 2001, he was a shareholder of Soto, Martin and Coogan, P.C. Concurrently with his private practice, he held a number of public positions. From 1975 to 1983, he worked as a part-time Deputy City Attorney in the Office of the Nogales City Attorney. He worked as a part-time Town Attorney in Patagonia, Arizona in from 1975 to 1992. He worked as a part-time Deputy County Attorney for the Santa Cruz County Attorney's Office in 1979. From 2001 to 2014, Soto served on the Superior Court in Santa Cruz County, where he also served as Presiding Superior Court Judge. Soto was elected to the bench as a Democrat.
Federal judicial service
On December 19, 2013, President Obama nominated Soto to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Arizona, to the seat vacated by Judge David C. Bury, who took senior status on December 31, 2012. On February 27 2014 his nomination was reported out of the committee. On May 13, 2014, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid filed for cloture on his nomination. On May 15, 2014, The Senate voted 61-35 on the motion to invoke cloture on his nomination. Later that same day, the Senate voted 95-1 in favor of final confirmation. He received his judicial commission on June 9, 2014.
- "President Obama Nominates Eight to Serve on the United States District Courts". 19 December 2013.
- "Applicants sought to potentially fill Soto’s seat". Nogales International. March 25, 2014. Retrieved May 16, 2014.
- "Soto, James Alan - Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate". 19 December 2013.
- "Executive Business Meeting". United States Senate. Committee on the Judiciary. Retrieved 27 February 2014.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 152. United States Senate. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 155. United States Senate. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
David C. Bury
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Arizona