James Allen (priest)
He was educated at Westminster, Charterhouse and Trinity College, Cambridge, graduating in 1825. He was Vicar of Castlemartin from 1839 to 1872, and a Canon Residentiary at St David's before his elevation to the Deanery.
He died on 26 June 1897.
- Although an ancient foundation, before 1840 the senior residentiary cleric was the Precentor, and not a Dean, due to a complication during the dissolution of the monasteries > “Eglwys Gadeiriol Tyddewi, 1181–1981 / St David’s Cathedral, 1181–1981” St David’s, Gwasg yr Oriel Fach, 1981 ISBN 0-905421-02-7
- "The Clergy List, Clerical Guide and Ecclesiastical Directory" London, Hamilton & Co 1889
- "Allen, James (ALN819J)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- Who was Who (1991) Who was who. A cumulated index 1897–1990, CD-ROM, London : A & C Black, ISBN 0-7136-3457-X
- The Times, Monday, Jun 28, 1897; pg. 12; Issue 35241; col D Obituary
- THE LATE DEAN OF ST. DAVID'S. Liverpool Mercury (Liverpool, England), Tuesday, June 29, 1897; Issue 15443. Venn's Alumni Cantabrigienses gives his day of death as 25 June.
|Dean of St David's
Evan Owen Phillips
|This article about a member of the Christian clergy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|