James Andrew Lewis
|James Andrew Lewis|
James Lewis at Stockholm Internet Forum 2014
Before joining CSIS, he was a member of the U.S. Foreign Service and Senior Executive Service, where he worked on regional security, military intervention and insurgency, conventional arms negotiations, technology transfer (including global arms sales), encryption, internet security, space remote sensing, high-tech trade with China, sanctions and Internet policy.
His diplomatic experience included negotiations on military basing in Asia, the Cambodia peace process, and the five-power talks on arms transfer restraint. Lewis led the U.S. delegation to the Wassenaar Arrangement Experts Group for advanced civil and military technologies. He was also assigned to the U.S. Southern Command for Just Cause, the U.S. Central Command for Desert Shield, and to the National Security Council and the U.S. Central American Task Force for programs in Nicaragua. In 2010 he served as Rapporteur for the UN Group of Government Experts on Information Security.
Lewis has authored more than eight publications since coming to CSIS, , on cybersecurity, innovation, military space, and identity management. He was the Project Director for CSIS’s Commission on Cybersecurity for the 44th Presidency. In 1984, Lewis earned a Ph.D. from the University of Chicago.
- Cyber Security: Turning National Solutions Into International Cooperation. CSIS. 2003. ISBN 978-0-89206-426-7.
- Globalization and National Security: Maintaining U.S. Technological Leadership and Economic Strength. CSIS. 2004. ISBN 978-0-89206-455-7.
- Waiting for Sputnik: Basic Research and Strategic Competition. CSIS. 2006. ISBN 978-0-89206-481-6.
- Building an Information Technology Industry in China, National Strategy, Global Markets: A Report of the Technology and Public Policy Program Center for Strategic and International Studies. CSIS. 2007. ISBN 978-0-89206-489-2.
- Intellectual Property Protection: Promoting Innovation in a Global Information Economy. CSIS. 2008. ISBN 978-0-89206-512-7.
- Jeffrey W. Knopf; Steven Metz; James Andrew Lewis (11 June 2013). "Thresholds in Uncertainty". Old Tools, New Century: Deterrence, Containment and Collective Cyberdefense. World Politics Review. pp. 23–29. ISBN 978-1-939907-12-7.
- "Multilateral Arms Transfer Restraint, Arms Control Today, http://www.armscontrol.org/print/1930
- Declaration of James A. Lewis, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, http://www.toad.com/dnssec/lewis-decl.html
- Frontline http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/cyberwar/interviews/lewis.html
- Time, The Cox Report on Chinese Espionage, http://www.time.com/time/daily/special/newschina/cox/export/pg2.html