James A. Attwood Jr.
|Residence||Dedham, Massachusetts, U.S.|
Bedford Hills, New York, U.S.
Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Other names||Jim Attwood|
|Alma mater||Harvard University (JD/MBA)|
|Board member of||Nielsen Holdings PLC|
|Spouse(s)||Leslie K. Williams|
James Albert Attwood Jr. is an American businessman. He serves as the managing director of The Carlyle Group and chairman of Nielsen Holdings PLC. He is a former investment banker at Goldman Sachs and EVP of Verizon Communications. He was a major donor to Hillary Clinton's 2016 presidential campaign.
Attwood graduated summa cum laude from Yale University where he earned a AB in Applied Mathematics and a MA in Statistics in 1980. He then attended Harvard University, and earned a J.D. from Harvard Law School and an M.B.A. from Harvard Business School in 1984.
Attwood started his career as an investment banker for Goldman Sachs, where he worked in New York City and Tokyo for eleven years. He subsequently served as the Executive Vice President for Strategy, Development and Planning for Verizon Communications and the GTE Corporation for four years. He joined The Carlyle Group in 2000, where he serves as Head of the Global Telecommunications, Media, and Technology Group and Managing Director.
Attwood joined the board of directors of Nielsen Holdings in 2006 and was appointed its chairman in 2016. He has served on the board of directors of CoreSite since September 2010. He also serves as chairman of the board of directors of Syniverse.
Attwood has donated to Correct the Record, a Super PAC which supports Hillary Clinton's 2016 presidential campaign. He also donated to Priorities USA Action, another pro-Hillary Clinton Super PAC, in 2016, as well as to the Hillary Victory Fund and Hillary for America.
Attwood and his wife, Leslie Kim Williams, met at Harvard Law School, where they both graduated in the class of 1984. They have one daughter, Samantha Kim Attwood. They reside in Bedford Hills, New York and Martha's Vineyard, where his neighbor is Alan Dershowitz. He collects wine.
- FEC Contribution Report
- "James A. Attwood, Jr". The Carlyle Group. Retrieved October 28, 2016.
- "Leadership profile: A conversation with James A. Attwood Jr. J.D./M.B.A. '84". Harvard Law Bulletin. October 5, 2015. Retrieved October 28, 2016.
- "JAMES A. ATTWOOD JR.: CHAIRMAN". Nielsen Holdings. Retrieved October 28, 2016.
- "Board of Directors". CoreSite. Retrieved October 28, 2016.
- "Daily Research News Online no. 21996 - Attwood Replaces Calhoun in Nielsen Chair". www.mrweb.com. Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- "Leadership: Board of Directors". Syniverse. Retrieved October 28, 2016.
- "Correct the Record: Contributors, 2016 cycle". OpenSecrets.com. Center for Responsive Politics. Retrieved October 28, 2016.
- "James Attwood Political Campaign Contributions 2016 Election Cycle". CampaignMoney.com. Retrieved October 28, 2016.