James B. Conant High School
|James B. Conant High School|
|700 E. Cougar Trail
Hoffman Estates, Illinois 60169
|School type||public secondary|
|School district||Township H.S. 211|
|Superintendent||Daniel Cates |
|Principal||Julie Nowak |
|Average class size||21.1|
|School colour(s)||navy blue
|Fight song||Conant High! Fight, fight, never die! Stand, cheer, go team victory's near! Rough, tough, Conant High has the stuff! Blue, white, Cougarrrrrrs Fight!|
|Athletics conference||Mid-Suburban League|
|Average ACT scores||22.7|
James B. Conant High School is a public four-year high school located in Hoffman Estates, Illinois, a northwest suburb of Chicago, Illinois, in the United States. It is part of Township High School District 211, which also includes William Fremd High School, Hoffman Estates High School, Palatine High School, and Schaumburg High School. Feeder schools are Mead Junior High, Keller Junior High and Frost Junior High.
Conant opened in 1964, and was the first high school built within Schaumburg Township, and the third in District 211. It was named after James Bryant Conant, a chemist, educator, and leading authority on teacher education, who helped model the high school system used today. Conant serves students who reside in the east side of Schaumburg, the west side of Elk Grove Village, the northern Cook County section of Roselle and the Southeast side of Hoffman Estates.
Conant also served students in the Northern Cook County section of Hanover Park until 2001. In 2000, District 211 approved a boundary change that sent about 300 Conant students who resided in Hanover Park and the south side of Schaumburg to attend Schaumburg High School to relieve overcrowding at Conant.
In 2012, James B. Conant High School was ranked at No. 35 in the state and No. 848 nationally, making it the highest ranked High School in District 211.
In January 2016, the Conant Hyperloop Club received a Subsystem Technical Excellence Award in the SpaceX-sponsored Hyperloop pod competition. The award was for outstanding technical merit in subsystem and design, based on "innovation and uniqueness of subsystem design, full Hyperloop system applicability and economics; level of design detail; strength of supporting analysis and tests; and quality of documentation and presentation."
Conant High School competes in the Mid-Suburban League (MSL), and is a member of the Illinois High School Association (IHSA), which governs most interscholastic sports and academic competition in Illinois. The teams representing the school are stylized as the Cougars.
The school sponsors interscholastic athletic teams for young men and women in basketball, bowling, cross country, golf, gymnastics, soccer, lacrosse, swimming & diving, tennis, track & field, volleyball, and water polo. Young men may also compete in baseball, football, and wrestling, while young women may compete in badminton, bowling, and softball. While not sponsored by the IHSA, the school also sponsors a co-op hockey team for young men, along with Hoffman Estates and Schaumburg High Schools.
The following teams have placed in the top four of their respective IHSA sponsored state tournament or meet:
- Bowling (girls): 4th place (1997–98); 3rd place (1998–99); 2nd place (1999–2000)
- Cross Country (boys): 4th place (1984–85); 3rd place (1983–84, 1985-86)
- Cross Country (girls): 2nd place (1989–90); State Champion (1988–89)
- Gymnastics (boys): 3rd place (2009-2010); 4th place (1989–90, 1990-91, 1996-97); 3rd place (1991–92); 2nd place (1984–85, 1985-86, 2012-13); State Champions (1986–87, 1987-88)
- Gymnastics (girls): 3rd place (2006–07); 2nd place (2003–04, 2004-05); State Champions (2005–06, 2013-14)
- Soccer (boys): 4th place (1999–2000, 2016-17); 3rd place (1991–92)
- Soccer (girls): 4th place (2008–09); 3rd place (2010–11)
- Track & Field (girls): 4th place (2006–07); 3rd place (2007–08)
- Water Polo (boys): 8th place (2006–2007)
- Water Polo (girls): 8th place (2014-2015, 2015-2016)
- Wrestling: 4th place (2002–03); 2nd place (1982–83, 1995-96, 1999-2000)
- Lacrosse (IHSLA, boys): Lacrosse Cup Champions (2010)
- William Beckett, singer for The Academy Is...; attended freshman year at Conant
- Katherine Cunningham - actress, The Playboy Club 
- Jennifer Grubb, professional soccer player with Washington Freedom of Women's United Soccer Association (2001–04)
- De'Mar Hamilton, drummer for band Plain White T's; participated in band when he attended Conant
- Andre Holmes, NFL wide receiver for Buffalo Bills
- Audra Martin, sports reporter/anchor for WKRN Nashville, former reporter for NHL's Atlanta Thrashers
- Russ Michna, professional quarterback, currently[when?] member of UFL Las Vegas Locomotives.
- Emerson Swinford, guitarist and composer living in Hollywood, California; has written and performed with many artists including Rod Stewart and composed theme and score for TV shows including Hot In Cleveland starring Betty White; participated in band when he attended Conant
- Robert Kleeman is a Circuit Court Judge in DuPage County, Illinois; 1980 graduate
- Twp. District 211 History; accessed 20 June 2009 Archived 12 June 2010 at the Wayback Machine.
- Faculty directory for JBCHS; accessed 20 June 2009
- Class of 2008 school report card; accessed 20 June 2009
- info for JBCHS; ihsa.org; accessed 20 June 2009
- Tapestry website; accessed 20 June 2009
- Conant Crier website; accessed 20 June 2009
- Conavite website; accessed 20 June 2009
- BLUE RIBBON SCHOOLS PROGRAM - Schools Recognized - 1982-1983 Through 1999-2002; U.S. Department of Education; p. 29; accessed 20 June 2009 Archived 26 March 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- Brooks, Chad; Conant High among Midwest's best in AP testing; 28 February 2006; Daily Herald; accessed 20 June 2009
- "Texas A&M Engineering News Release January 30, 2016". Texas A&M University—Engineering. 2016-01-30. Retrieved 2016-02-05.
- Athletic Department for JBCHS; accessed 20 June 2009
- Season summaries for JBCHS; ihsa.org; accessed 20 June 2009
- IHSLA Website. "Archibes".
- Katherine Cunningham on IMDb
- Jennifer Grubb profile; wusa.com; accessed 20 June 2009
- Audra Martin [@Audra_Martin] (23 April 2015). "@ConantCougars as an alum I love reading #cougarcompliments and I don't even know any of the people they are about! Best high school ever!" (Tweet) – via Twitter.