2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment|
1st Mechanized Brigade
1st (UK) Armoured Division
War in Afghanistan|
War in Iraq
Companion of the Order of the Bath|
Commander of the Order of the British Empire
Mentioned in Despatches
Educated at Marlborough College, Bashall was commissioned in to the Parachute Regiment in 1984. By 2002 he had become Commanding Officer of the 2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment serving in Afghanistan.
He commanded 1st Mechanized Brigade based in Basra in Southern Iraq during Operation Telic in 2007. He was appointed Director Army Division of the Defence Academy at Shrivenham in January 2009 and went on to be Chief of Joint Force Operations in December 2009: in this capacity he masterminded the covert Special Air Service rescue operations across war-torn Libya in early 2011. He became General Officer Commanding 1st (UK) Armoured Division in April 2011, Chief of Staff, Operations at the Permanent Joint Headquarters, Northwood in August 2012 and Commander Personnel and Support Command in June 2015 (his role was re-designated Commander Home Command in May 2016).
- "Welcome to Marlborough College – Marlborough College". 4 January 2016. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
- "No. 50179". The London Gazette (Supplement). 1 July 1985. p. 9048.
- Into the Afghan Minefield BBC News, 24 February 2002
- Day the white tin hats met the Red Berets Daily Telegraph, 11 January 2002
- The 'proxy war': UK troops are sent to Iranian border The Independent, 12 September 2007
- Commander who led SAS rescue is hero of Iraq war Evening Standard, 28 February 2011
- Handover of UK Armoured division takes place in Germany British Forces News, 1 April 2011
- Defence Viewpoints; Promotions, leavers, new jobs; May 2012
- "A new painting marks Army's relationship with Scotland over last 100 years". Ministry of Defence. 7 October 2005. Retrieved 15 November 2015.
- "Over 200 new Gurkhas join the ranks of the Brigade". Welcome to the Gurkha Brigade Association. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
- "No. 61301". The London Gazette (Supplement). 20 July 2015. p. 13380.
| General Officer Commanding the 1st (UK) Armoured Division
| Commander Personnel and Support Command
(re-designated Commander Home Command in 2016)