James Bay (singer)
Bay performing live in Gibraltar in 2015
|Birth name||James Michael Bay|
|Born||4 September 1990|
Hitchin, Hertfordshire, England
James Michael Bay (born 4 September 1990) is an English singer-songwriter and guitarist. In 2014, he released his single "Hold Back the River", which has been certified platinum, before releasing his debut studio album Chaos and the Calm (2015). The album went to number one in the UK and number 15 in the US. In February 2015, Bay received the Brit Awards "Critics' Choice" award. At the 2016 Brit Awards he received the award for Best British Male Solo Artist. Bay also received three nominations at the 2016 Grammy Awards, for Best New Artist, Best Rock Album, and Best Rock Song. In May 2018, he released his second studio album, Electric Light.
Bay was brought up in Hitchin, Hertfordshire and attended Hitchin Boys' School. Aged 11, Bay was inspired to play classical guitar after hearing Eric Clapton's "Layla". and he used an old rusty guitar with 5 strings he found in a cupboard in his house. When he moved to study in Brighton at the British and Irish Modern Music Institute seven years later at age 18 he gained a greater education from playing the city's open mic nights, on which he said, "That taught me a lot about writing and performing on my own and trying to hold my own". "I'm trying to make songs that make people feel something, and if I'm lucky, even move them". Bay caught the attention of Republic Records A&R after a fan uploaded a video to YouTube of him performing at an open mic in London, and within a week he was signed to the label. His first EP, The Dark of the Morning, was released in 2013. Within a year he was selling out his first UK headline tour.
Bay released his debut extended play, The Dark of the Morning, on 18 July 2013. His second EP, Let It Go, was released on 12 May 2014. The Let It Go EP debuted in the top 10 iTunes album chart and the lead single, titled "Let It Go", peaked at number 10 in the UK charts. Bay has performed live on the Burberry runway and has also recorded a Burberry Acoustic session. Bay toured with Hozier in 2014.
Bay recorded his entire debut studio album Chaos and the Calm at Blackbird Studios in Nashville, with producer Jacquire King. It debuted at number one in the UK charts and has been certified X2 platinum. His single, "Hold Back The River" peaked at number 2 in the UK charts and has also been certified X2 platinum.
Bay is an advocate for the international non-profit, WaterAid.
In August 2017, Bay released his fashion collection with Topman, #jamesbayxtopman.
Bay endorses and plays Tone King amplifiers, a boutique amplifier brand of Premier Builders Guild. In 2017, Bay released his Epiphone Signature “1966” Century Outfit, an accurate recreation of his customized 1966 Epiphone Century guitar which has James Bay's “Hat Man” logo on the headstock and custom strap.
- Electric Light Tour (2018–)
- Chaos and the Calm Tour (2015–16)
- Boardmasters (August 2016) – Cornwall
- Toured with Kodaline UK and Ireland (2013)
- Toured with Hozier North America (2014)
- Taylor Swift – 1989 World Tour (Europe) (2015)
- The Rolling Stones - No Filter Tour (2018)
Awards and nominations
|2015||BRIT Awards||Critics' Choice||Himself||Won|||
|MTV UK||Brand New for 2015||Himself||Nominated|||
|BBC||BBC Sound of 2015||Himself||Nominated|||
|MTV Video Music Awards||Artist to Watch||"Hold Back the River"||Nominated|||
|MTV Europe Music Awards||Best New Act||Himself||Nominated|
|Best Push Act||Nominated|
|GQ Men of The Year||Breakthrough Solo Artist||Himself||Won|||
|Q Awards||Q Best New Act||Himself||Won|||
|2016||Grammy Awards||Best New Artist||Himself||Nominated|
|Best Rock Album||Chaos and the Calm||Nominated|
|Best Rock Song||"Hold Back the River"||Nominated|
|BRIT Awards||British Breakthrough Act||Himself||Nominated|
|British Male Solo Artist||Won|
|British Single of the Year||"Hold Back the River"||Nominated|
|British Album of the Year||Chaos and the Calm||Nominated|
|Echo Music Prize||Best International Newcomer||Himself||Won|||
|Ivor Novello Awards||Most Performed Work||"Hold Back the River"||Won|||
|Q Awards||Q Best Solo Artist||Himself||Won|||
- Bay, James Michael. "Songwriter/Composer: BAY JAMES MICHAEL". Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI). Retrieved 4 July 2017.
- "New Music – Kimberley Anne, James Bay, Little Bear". The Irish Times. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- "BBC Introducing – On the playlist: James Bay". BBC. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- Young, Richard (28 May 2010). "Hitchin guitarist 'One to watch' says EMI boss". The Comet. Archant Community Media. Retrieved 2 September 2014.
- "Brit Awards 2015: Winners list". BBC. Retrieved 26 February 2015
- "Brit Awards 2016: Adele dominates with four awards". BBC. 25 February 2016.
- "Who is James Bay?". 4 December 2014. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- Maeve Quigley (9 October 2015). "Modest James Bay not carried away with his quick-fire success". irishmirror. Archived from the original on 31 October 2015.
- "A Name to Remember: James Bay is a voice that you just won't forget". Her. Archived from the original on 11 September 2014. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- "James Bay premieres new single 'Hold Back The River'".
- "James Bay, artist". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 8 October 2014.
- Bayley, Leanne. "James Bay sang at Burberry SS15 show – but who is he?". Glamour Magazine UK. Archived from the original on 6 January 2015. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- Bedian, Knar. "Painted Faces and Fantastic Pipes: James Bay". Sound of Boston. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- "James Bay announces debut album". NME. 11 December 2014.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 15 March 2018. Retrieved 14 March 2018.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100 (29 March 2015 – 4 April 2015). Official Charts. Retrieved 21 July 2015
- "James Bay, Glastonbury, review: 'One Direction didn't steal the show'". The Telegraph. 26 June 2015.
- "'Chaos and the Calm': James Bay Talks Songwriting, Opening for the Stones and More:". Guitar World. 12 June 2015.
- "James Bay Epiphone Century". Epiphone. 30 June 2017.
- "Electric Light Tour Dates Announced – James Bay". NME. Retrieved 7 March 2018.
- "Chaos and the Calm Tour Dates Announced! – James Bay". James Bay. Retrieved 24 October 2015.
- "Taylor Swift Announces James Bay And Vance Joy As Support For 1989 Tour | MTV UK". MTV UK. Retrieved 24 October 2015.
- "Rolling Stones announce huge list of special guests for their 2018 UK tour". Independent.co.uk. 23 April 2018. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "Critic's Choice Winner Announced". Brit Awards. 4 December 2014.
- "MTV's Brand New For 2015 Nominees announced". MTV. 24 November 2014.
- "BBC Music Sound of 2015 longlist revealed". BBC. 1 December 2014.
- "BBC Music Sound of 2015: James Bay". BBC News. 8 January 2015.
- "2015 MTV Video Music Awards Nominees Revealed: Taylor Swift, Kendrick Lamar, Ed Sheeran & More". Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- "BREAKTHROUGH SOLO ARTIST: JAMES BAY". GQ. 8 September 2015.
- "Bay picked up Q Best New Act, presented by Orange Amplification". Q. 20 October 2015.
- "James Bay wins the ECHO for International Newcomer". ECHO Awards. 15 April 2016.
- "Winners Announced for the 61st Ivor Novello Awards". The Ivors. 19 May 2016.
- "Q Awards 2016: Muse, Bastille and James Bay win big as Madness enter Hall of Fame". London Evening Standard. 22 November 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to James Bay (singer).|