January 14, 1987 |
Belfer grew up on Long Island, New York. He received his Bachelor's Degree from Northwestern University in 2009. That year, Belfer founded Dogfish Pictures to finance and produce several feature films per year. He attended NYU Stern in 2011 to receive his MBA in Entrepreneurship and Innovation, Digital Marketing, and Business Analytics. He was also an Associate for the 2012 Boulder Class of TechStars and an investor in the MESA+ venture fund. In 2012, he created Dogfish Accelerator, the first accelerator program for independent film producers. He currently resides in New York City.
Belfer has produced and financed several films, including The Romantics (co-producer), Salvation Boulevard (co-producer), Like Crazy (associate producer), Vamps (co-executive producer), Compliance (executive producer), and Prince Avalanche (producer). He is currently an adjunct professor at NYU's Tisch School of the Arts, teaching strategies for independent filmmaking to undergraduates in Film & Television.
|2010||The Romantics||Galt Niederhoffer||co-producer|
|2011||Salvation Boulevard||George Ratliff||co-producer|
|2011||Like Crazy||Drake Doremus||associate producer|
|2012||Vamps||Amy Heckerling||co-executive producer|
|2012||Compliance||Craig Zobel||executive producer|
|2013||Prince Avalanche||David Gordon Green||producer|
|2017||Like Me||Robert Mockler||producer|
|2017||Sylvio||Albert Birney and Kentucker Audley||executive producer|
|2017||Dogs In A Park||Daniel Shepard and Keith Shepard||executive producer|
Belfer's films have participated in the Sundance Film Festival, Toronto International Film Festival, Berlin International Film Festival, South by Southwest, Locarno International Film Festival, BAMcinemaFest, Seattle International Film Festival, San Francisco International Film Festival, and Stockholm International Film Festival. In 2011, Belfer's film Like Crazy won the Grand Jury Prize: Dramatic at the Sundance Film Festival. In 2013, Belfer’s film Prince Avalanche premiered at the Sundance Film Festival and won the 2013 Berlinale Silver Bear Award for Best Director.
- "Variety Reviews – Salutation Boulevard". Variety. January 25, 2011.
- "Variety Reviews – Like Crazy". Variety. January 22, 2011.
- "Variety Reviews – Compliance". Variety. January 21, 2012.
- "Rudd, Hirsch wrap secret indie". Variety. June 6, 2012.
- "Sundance: 2011 Winners: ‘Like Crazy’ Wins Grand Jury Dramatic Prize, ‘How To Die In Oregon’ Wins Documentary". Deadline.com. January 29, 2011.
- "PRIZES & HONOURS 2013". Berlin International Film Festival. 2013.
- "Sundance: 10 Producers To Keep Watching". Deadline.com. January 28, 2012.