James Bell (bishop)
|The Right Reverend
|area Bishop of Ripon|
|Church||Church of England|
Ripon and Leeds (2004–2014)
|Other posts||Bishop of Knaresborough (name changed 2015)
interim area bishop in Leeds (20–22 April 2014)
|Consecration||2 March 2004
by David Hope
|Born||20 November 1950|
|Alma mater||St John's College, Durham|
Bell studied modern history at St John's College, Durham (BA 1972). Then began a 10-year residence in Oxford, where from 1972 until 1975 he studied for ordination at Wycliffe Hall, meanwhile matriculating in the University of Oxford as a member of St Peter's Hall, taking a BA in Theology in 1974 (having read for the Final Honour School alone) and incepting as a Master of Arts in 1978.
Upon his ordination as a deacon in 1975 he was appointed Honorary Curate of Oxford St Michael with St Martin and All Saints and the following year, having been ordained priest, he because Chaplain and Lecturer of Brasenose College until 1982. He held several pastoral posts in West London before moving to the Diocese of Ripon and Leeds in 1997. Initially Director of Mission (and an Honorary Canon of Ripon Cathedral) he was appointed suffragan Bishop of Knaresborough following the death of Frank Weston.
Bell was consecrated a bishop by David Hope, Archbishop of York, during a service at York Minster on 2 March 2004. He was installed as Bishop of Knaresborough at Ripon Cathedral on 14 March 2004.
From 2004 until the creation of the Diocese of Leeds in 2014, Bell was suffragan Bishop of Knaresborough in the Diocese of Ripon and Leeds; upon the dissolution of the Ripon diocese and the erection of the Leeds diocese, Bell became area bishop for the Ripon area. His title remained Bishop of Knaresborough until that See was translated to Ripon (i.e. the title changed to Bishop of Ripon) by Order in Council of 19 March 2015.
- The Reverend James Bell (1975–1997)
- The Reverend Canon James Bell (1997–2004)
- The Right Reverend James Bell (2004–present)
- archived website that contains inforamtion about James Bell, as of 23 September 2016
- The Transformation Programme – First new diocese for more than 85 years created on April 20 (Accessed 19 April 2014)
- Suffragan See of Knaresborough
- Cumberland & Westmorland Herald — Former Eden school pupil becomes a bishop
- Crockford's Clerical Directory (97th edn. London: Church House Publishing, 2001), p. 55
- "Debrett's People of Today": Ellis,P(Ed): 2006, London, Debtrett's ISBN 1-870520-03-3
- Orders in Council, 19 March 2015 (Accessed 25 March 2015)
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Knaresborough
as area Bishop of Ripon
as Bishop of Knaresborough
|area Bishop of Ripon
|This article about a Church of England bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|