James Bevan Edwards
|Sir James Edwards|
Lieutenant General Sir James Edwards c.1895
|Born||5 November 1835|
|Died||8 July 1922
|Buried at||Brompton Cemetery, London|
|Years of service||1852–1893|
|Commands held||Commander of British Troops in China and Hong Kong
Royal School of Military Engineering
|Awards||Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath
Knight Commander of the Order of St Michael and St George
Mentioned in Despatches
He transferred to the Indian Staff Corps in 1882, and, during the Mahdist War, became Commanding Royal Engineer for the Suakin Expeditionary Force in 1885. He was mentioned in despatches for his role in this Expedition.
On return to the United Kingdom, Edwards became Commandant of the Royal School of Military Engineering. He was then appointed Commander of British Troops in China and Hong Kong in 1889.
Edwards was also selected by the British Government to inspect the forces of the Australian colonies in 1889 and to advise on their organisation. He recommended a structure to enable the colonies to combine for mutual defence, uniform organisation and armament, a common Defence Act, a military college to train officers and a uniform gauge for railways.
At the 1895 general election, he was elected to the House of Commons as Member of Parliament (MP) for Hythe in Kent, but he made his resignation from the British House of Commons in February 1899.
He became colonel-commandant of the Royal Engineers in 1903.
Edwards was married thrice: in 1868 to Alice Brocklebank; in 1901 to Nina Balfour; and, in 1918, Amy Ann Harding.
- The London Gazette: . 31 December 1852. Retrieved 2010-04-03.
- Australian Dictionary of Biography
- The London Gazette: . 5 May 1882. Retrieved 2010-04-03.
- The London Gazette: . 20 February 1885. Retrieved 2010-04-03.
- The London Gazette: . 25 August 1885. Retrieved 2010-04-03.
- The London Gazette: . 6 March 1888. Retrieved 2010-04-03.
- The London Gazette: . 28 May 1889. Retrieved 2010-04-03.
- The London Gazette: . 2 August 1895. Retrieved 2010-04-03.
- The London Gazette: . 21 February 1899. Retrieved 2010-04-03.
- Brompton Cemetery site
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Sir James Edwards
Sir William Cameron
|Commander of British Troops in China and Hong Kong
Sir George Barker
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Hythe
Sir Edward Sassoon