Bobin in 2016
Hampshire, England, United Kingdom
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter, producer|
|Children||1 daughter, 2 sons|
James Bobin (born 1972) is an English film director, writer, and producer. He worked as a director and writer on Da Ali G Show and helped create the characters of Ali G, Borat, and Brüno. With Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement, he co-created Flight of the Conchords. He directed the feature films The Muppets (2011), Muppets Most Wanted (2014) and Alice Through the Looking Glass (2016).
Early life and family
Bobin was raised in Titchfield, near Fareham, in Hampshire. His father, David Bobin, is a sports broadcaster currently employed by Sky Sports. He was educated at Portsmouth Grammar School and then studied History at Oxford University. He is married to Francesca Beauman and has three children.
Bobin worked as a director and writer on The 11 O'Clock Show and Da Ali G Show, and helped create the characters of Ali G, Borat, and Brüno. In 2003 and 2004, he directed and co-wrote all of the 12 episodes of Ali G in da USAiii for HBO.
With Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement, he co-created, wrote and directed Flight of the Conchords, also for HBO. Bobin had previously seen Clement and McKenzie perform and signed on to co-create the show.
His feature film directorial debut, The Muppets, a musical-comedy film written by Jason Segel and Nicholas Stoller, was released in 2011 and became a critical and commercial hit and won an Oscar for Best Original Song. The film earned him his second BAFTA nomination at the 66th British Academy Film Awards. He wrote (with Nicholas Stoller) and directed a follow-up, Muppets Most Wanted, which was released in 2014. Bobin next directed the sequel Alice Through the Looking Glass (2016). In February 2016, it was announced that he will direct the Jump Street-Men in Black crossover film.
Bobin received his first BAFTA nomination (British Academy of Film and Television Award) for "Best Comedy Series" in 2000. He also won an award from the Royal Television Society, as well as a Silver Rose from the Monteux Television Festival. He won a Writers Guild of America Award in 2007.
Bobin was nominated for Outstanding Writing and Directing Emmys for Da Ali G Show in 2003, and again in 2005. In 2008, he was nominated for Outstanding Writing, Directing, and Original Music for Flight of the Conchords.
- The Muppets (2011) – director
- Muppets Most Wanted (2014) – director, co-writer
- Alice Through the Looking Glass (2016) – director
- MIB 23 (TBA) - director
- The 11 O'Clock Show (1998) – writer, associate producer, director
- Da Ali G Show (UK: 2000, US: 2003–2004) – writer, director
- Comedy Lab (2004) – producer, director
- Flight of the Conchords (2007–2009) – writer, executive producer, director
- Enlightened (2011) – director
- HBO: James Bobin, Executive Producer/Co-Creator/Director: Flight of the Conchords
- Marc Allan – Fasten Your Seat Belts for Flight of the Conchords
- Brodesser-Akner, Claude (1 March 2012). "New Muppets Movie Going Ahead, But Without Jason Segel As a Writer". Vulture. Retrieved 18 January 2013.