James Bond 007: The Duel
|James Bond 007: The Duel|
European Mega Drive cover art
James Bond 007: The Duel is a 1993 action video game featuring the character of the British secret agent James Bond. It was developed by The Kremlin and published by Domark for Sega's Mega Drive/Genesis and Master System video game consoles, and the Game Gear handheld game console. The Mega Drive version was also released in Japan by Tengen on 14 May 1993, under the title known as 007 Shitō (００７・死闘).
Armed with a pistol, the player controls James Bond through various side-scrolling enemy bases to rescue female hostages and arm a bomb placed at a strategic point to destroy the base. Along the way, Bond must battle numerous thugs and familiar bosses. The game is often compared to Namco's Rolling Thunder series, although it was much less popular with the critics.
The Duel was released four years after Timothy Dalton's last outing as James Bond (in Licence to Kill), but his likeness is used in the game, most notably the opening screens, thus making it Dalton's last appearance as Bond to date. It was also the final Bond game to be released by Domark, who had released a series of Bond themed games beginning in 1985 with A View to a Kill.
It was the first Bond game not to be directly based on a movie or novel. Instead it featured an original storyline, albeit one featuring familiar villains including Jaws and Oddjob. Though The Duel's storyline was not its strong point, it did blaze a trail for future licence-holders EA, half of whose Bond output would be based on original storylines. One previous Bond game, the Delphine developed, The Stealth Affair, included an original storyline but the game was originally based on a generic Bond-style character named John Glames and only had the licence added for its US release.
The Sega Master System version is one of the few games that do not work properly on NTSC systems , although the Master System does not have region lock-out.
- "James Bond 007: The Duel". GameSpot. CBS Interactive. Archived from the original on 8 November 2015. Retrieved 8 November 2015.
- "James Bond 007: The Duel (Genesis) overview". AllGame. All Media Network. Archived from the original on 15 November 2014. Retrieved 8 November 2015.
- "James Bond 007: The Duel (1993)". Mi6-HQ.com. Archived from the original on 24 March 2005. Retrieved 8 November 2015.
- [セガハード大百科] メガドライブ対応ソフトウェア（ソフトライセンシー発売） (in Japanese). Sega. Archived from the original on 10 January 2013. Retrieved 7 November 2015.
- "Sega Master Force Issue 2" (2). September 1993: 11. Retrieved 19 November 2015.