James Butler, 4th Marquess of Ormonde
James Arthur Wellington Foley Butler, 4th Marquess of Ormonde was born on 23 September 1849 and died on 4 July 1943. He was the son of John Butler, 2nd Marquess of Ormonde and Frances Jane Paget.
He was Justice of the Peace in the county of Kent and Deputy Lieutenant in the County Kilkenny. He was the 28th Hereditary Chief Butler of Ireland. Unlike previous generations, he did not live in the family seat of Kilkenny Castle as his son inherited it directly from his uncle. The contents of the castle were sold in 1935 and the castle left neglected.
Marriage and Children
He married American heiress Ellen Stager (daughter of Gen. Anson Stager of Chicago, Illinois) on 8 March 1887 and had four children:
- Evelyn Frances Butler (b. 20 December 1887), married with Vice-Adm. Hon. Edmund Rupert Drummond, CB MVO RN (ret.), son of 10th Viscount Strathallan and brother of 15th Earl of Perth and has issue.
- James George Anson Butler, 5th Marquess of Ormonde (1890–1949)
- James Arthur Norman Butler, 6th Marquess of Ormonde (1893–1971)
- Eleanor Rachel Butler (b. 24 April 1894), married firstly with Captain Edward Brassey Egerton and secondly William Henry Prior.
- "The Peerage Online". Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- "Lords of the Castle". Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume X, page 167. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- "Historic graves". Retrieved 12 February 2016.
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
James Edward Butler
|Marquess of Ormonde
James George Butler
|This biography of a marquess in the peerage of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|