James C. Auchincloss
|James C. Auchincloss|
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from New Jersey's 3rd district
January 3, 1943—January 3, 1965
|Preceded by||William H. Sutphin|
|Succeeded by||James J. Howard|
|Born||James Coats Auchincloss
January 19, 1885
New York City
|Died||October 2, 1976
(m. 1909-1959; her death)
Vera Rogers Brown
|Parents||Edgar Stirling Auchincloss
Maria LeGrange Sloan
|Alma mater||Yale University (1908)|
|Profession||Stock broker, politician|
James Coats Auchincloss (January 19, 1885 – October 2, 1976) was an American businessman and Republican Party politician who represented New Jersey's 3rd congressional district in the United States House of Representatives from 1943–1965.
Auchincloss was born in New York City, the son of Edgar Stirling Auchincloss (1847–1892) and Maria LeGrange Sloan (1847–1929). His uncles were Hugh Dudley Auchincloss (father of Hugh D. Auchincloss, Jr.) and John Winthrop Auchincloss (grandfather of Louis Auchincloss). He attended the Cutler School in New York City, and the Groton School, Groton, Massachusetts; graduated from Yale University in 1908.
From 1908 until 1940, he engaged in financial and stock brokerage business in New York City. He was a governor of the New York Stock Exchange from 1921 to 1938. He served in the Seventh Regiment, New York National Guard from 1909 to 1913; during World War I served as captain, Military Intelligence; deputy police commissioner of New York City; founder, treasurer, president, and chairman of the board of the New York Better Business Bureau.
He was a member of the Rumson, New Jersey borough council from 1930 to 1937, and served as the borough's mayor from 1938 to 1943.
He was elected as a Republican to the Seventy-eighth and to the ten succeeding Congresses (January 3, 1943 – January 3, 1965); was not a candidate for reelection in 1964 to the Eighty-ninth Congress. In 1951, Auchincloss founded the Capitol Hill Club in Washington, D.C..
In 1909, he married Lee Alexander (d. 1959). Together, they had:
- James Douglas Auchincloss (b. 1913), who married Lily van Ameringen (1922–1996) in 1956. They divorced in 1979.
- Gordon Auchincloss
After her death, he married Vera Rogers Brown.
- Ennis, Thomas W. (3 October 1976). "James C. Auchincloss Dies at 91". The New York Times. Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- Birmingham, Stephen (1968). The Right People. Little, Brown. p. 326.
- Buck, Albert H. (1909). The Bucks of Wethersfield, Connecticut. Stone Printing and Manufacturing Co. pp. 120–3.
- "Auchincloss Heads Bureau Again.". New York Times. May 29, 1931. Retrieved 2009-01-24.
James C. Auchincloss, a governor of the New York Stock and member of the firm of Auchincloss Mills, has been elected president of the Better Business Bureau ...
- Smith, Roberta (8 June 1996). "Lily Auchincloss, 74, Trustee At the Museum of Modern Art". New York Times. Retrieved 15 May 2012.
- United States Congress. "James C. Auchincloss (id: A000227)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.
- Political Graveyard bio for James C. Auchincloss
- James C. Auchincloss at Find a Grave
|United States House of Representatives|
|U.S. House of Representatives,
New Jersey 3rd District