James C. Greenough
James Carruthers Greenough
James C. Greenough circa 1891
|Principal of the Rhode Island Normal School (now Rhode Island College)|
|President of the Massachusetts Agricultural College (now the University of Massachusetts Amherst)|
|Principal of Westfield State Normal School (now Westfield State University)|
|Born||August 15, 1829|
|Died||December 4, 1924 (aged 95)|
|Spouse(s)||Jeanie Ashley Bates (1860–1921)|
|Alma mater||Williams College (A.B., A.M.)|
Brown University (A.M.)
Berea College (LL.D.)
James Carruthers Greenough (August 15, 1829 – December 4, 1924) was an American educator who served as the third principal of the Rhode Island Normal School, sixth president of the Massachusetts Agricultural College, and seventh principal of the Westfield State Normal School. He was also an outspoken advocate of Christian teachings in public academic institutions, a fellow of the American Institute of Instruction, and author of a treatise on the British education system.
- "The Proper Work of Normal Schools" (1872)
- "Methods and Results" (1881)
- Address on Col. Marshall Pinckney Wilder (1883)
- "The Place and the Work of the State College" (1883)
- "Morality and Religion in the Public School" (1887)
- "The Relation of the College to Pedagogics" (1893)
- "The Evolution of the Elementary Schools of Great Britain" (1903)
- "A History of the Town of Westfield" (1919)
- The Sixty-Third Annual Report of the Massachusetts Agricultural College. XVIII. Amherst, MA: Massachusetts Agricultural College. February 1926. pp. 3–4. Retrieved 2011-01-27.
- Marquis, Albert Nelson, ed. (1909). "Greenough, James Carruthers". Who's Who in New England. Chicago: A. N. Marquis & Company. OCLC 2108089. Retrieved 2012-01-27.
- Greenough, J. C. (June 1887). Smythe, Egbert C.; Churchill, J.W.; Tucker, William J.; Harris, George; Hincks, Edward Y. (eds.). "Morality and Religion in the Public School". The Andover Review. Cambridge, MA: The Riverside Press; Houghton, Mifflin and Company. VII (42): 638–648. Retrieved 2012-01-27.
- Norris-Sullivan, E. (1882). The Lectures and Journal of Proceedings of the American Institute of Instruction; July 5-8, 1881, at St. Albans, VT. Boston: American Institute of Instruction. Retrieved 2012-01-27.
- Greenough, James C. (November 1903). Harris, W.T (ed.). The Evolution of the Elementary Schools of Great Britain. New York: D. Appleton and Company. OCLC 2108089. Retrieved 2012-01-27.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to James C. Greenough.|
- James C. Greenough Papers
- James C. Greenough, YouMass, University of Massachusetts Amherst
- James C. Greenough, Past Chancellors & Presidents on the Amherst Campus, University of Massachusetts Amherst.
| Principal of the Rhode Island Normal School
Thomas J. Morgan
| President of the Massachusetts Agricultural College
Henry H. Goodell
Joseph G. Scott
| Principal of Westfield State Normal School
Charles S. Chapin