|Nationality||United States and Canada|
|Alma mater||University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign|
|Known for||partial differential equations|
|Awards||Sloan Fellowship (2003)|
McLean Award (2007)
|Institutions||University of British Columbia|
|Doctoral advisor||Jean Bourgain|
James Ellis Colliander (born 22 June 1967) is an American-Canadian mathematician. He is currently Professor of Mathematics at University of British Columbia and serves as Director of the Pacific Institute for the Mathematical Sciences. Colliander is also the Founder/CEO of an education technology company called Crowdmark. He was born in El Paso, Texas, and lived there until age 8 and then moved to Hastings, Minnesota. He graduated from Macalester College in 1989. He worked for two years at the United States Naval Research Laboratory on fiber optic sensors and then went to graduate school to study mathematics. He received his Ph.D. from the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign in 1997 and was advised by Jean Bourgain. Colliander was a postdoctoral fellow at the University of California, Berkeley and spent semesters at the University of Chicago, the Institute for Advanced Study and the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute.
He is also an award-winning teacher.
Colliander is a collaborator with Markus Keel, Gigliola Staffilani, Hideo Takaoka, and Terence Tao, forming a group known as the "I-team". The name of this group has been said to come from a mollification operator used in the team's method of almost conserved quantities, or as an abbreviation for "interaction", referring both to the teamwork of the group and to the interactions of light waves with each other. The group's work was featured in the 2006 Fields Medal citations for group member Tao.
- Colliander, J.; Keel, M.; Staffilani, G.; Takaoka, H.; Tao, T. (2008), "Global well-posedness and scattering for the energy-critical nonlinear Schrödinger equation in ℝ3", Annals of Mathematics, Second Series, 167 (3): 767–865, doi:10.4007/annals.2008.167.767, MR 2415387.
- Colliander, J.; Keel, M.; Staffilani, G.; Takaoka, H.; Tao, T. (2010), "Transfer of energy to high frequencies in the cubic defocusing nonlinear Schrödinger equation", Inventiones Mathematicae, 181 (1): 39–113, doi:10.1007/s00222-010-0242-2, MR 2651381.
- Newsletter of University of Toronto Faculty of Arts and Science
- Collander et al. (2008); Collander et al. (2010).
- Staffilani, Gigliola (March 18, 2012), Quello Che Si Far per Amore? Della Matematica, Careers in the Math Sciences.
- Fefferman, Charles (2006), "The work of Terence Tao" (PDF), International Congress of Mathematicians.
- I-method, Dispersive Wiki, retrieved 2015-01-02.
- Fields Medal announcement for Terry Tao, International Congress of Mathematicians, 2006, retrieved 2015-01-02.
- James Colliander's web page.
- MathSciNet: "Items authored by Colliander, James."
- James Colliander at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- James Colliander introducing Crowdmark at 2013 Launch Education and Kids.