|James Sterling Corum|
|Main interests||Military history (History of warfare, World War II|
|Notable works||Books on the Luftwaffe during World War II, the pre-war German Army and other works|
|Notable ideas||The effectiveness of integrated air power over strategic missions independent of the joint battlespace|
James Sterling Corum is an American air power historian and scholar of counter-insurgency. He is a Lecturer in the Department of Politics and Contemporary History at the University of Salford. He has written several books on counterinsurgency and other topics. He is a retired lieutenant colonel in the US Army Reserve.
Corum was dean of the Baltic Defence College in Tartu, Estonia from January 2009 to September 2014, when he was succeeded by Augustine Meaher IV. He then joined the University of Salford in Manchester, United Kingdom. He is also adjunct professor of military history at Austin Peay State University. He was formerly a professor of military history in the Department of Joint and Multinational Operations at the US Army Command and General Staff College at Fort Leavenworth. Previously he was professor of Comparative Military Studies at the school of advanced airpower studies, Air University, Alabama. During 2005 he was both a visiting fellow of All Souls College, Oxford University, and a visiting fellow of the Levershulme Program on the Changing Nature of War, Department of International Politics, Oxford University.
- The Luftwaffe: Creating the Operational Air War, 1918-1940
- The Roots of Blitzkrieg: Hans von Seeckt and German Military Reform (University Press of Kansas, 1992). ISBN 0-700-60541-X OCLC 25410850
- Wolfram von Richthofen: Master of the German Air War University Press of Kansas, Lawrence, 2008. ISBN 978-0-7006-1598-8
- Airpower in Small Wars: Fighting Insurgents and Terrorists. University Press of Kansas. 2003. ISBN 0-700-61240-8. OCLC 51477066.
- Training Indigenous Forces in Counterinsurgency: a Tale of Two Insurgencies. Strategic Studies Institute, U.S. Army War College. 2006. ISBN 1-584-87230-6. OCLC 66526200.
- Fighting the War on Terror: a Counterinsurgency Strategy. Zenith Press. 2007. ISBN 0-760-32868-4. OCLC 71243998.
- Bad Strategies: How Great Powers Fail in Counterinsurgency (Zenith Press, 2008).
Among Corum's many articles is: "To stop them on the beaches: Luftwaffe Operations against the Allied Landings in Italy," Air Power Review, Vol. 7 No. 2 (Summer 2004), pp. 47–68.
- "James S. Corum: How the British Defeated Insurgents in Malaya". History News Network. 2005-02-06. Retrieved 2012-09-02.
- "COLLEGE OF GRADUATE STUDIES" (PDF). Apsu.Edu. 2008–2009. Retrieved 2012-09-02.
- "The Myth of Air Control Reassessing the History". 2000. Retrieved 2012-09-02.
- "James Corum". Telegraph. 2012-07-16. Retrieved 2012-09-02.