James Crump is a director and filmmaker and art historian. He wrote, produced and directed the documentary films, Black White + Gray: A Portrait of Sam Wagstaff and Robert Mapplethorpe (2007) and Troublemakers: The Story of Land Art (2015).
- 1 Career
- 2 Films
- 3 Books
- 4 References
- 5 External links
From 2008 to 2013, Crump worked at the Cincinnati Art Museum where as Chief Curator he managed seven curatorial departments and the organization of several exhibitions and museum publications. He has collaborated with a host of museums and galleries, including Martin-Gropius-Bau, Berlin, Hammer Museum, Los Angeles, International Center of Photography, the Grey Art Gallery of NYU and The Drawing Center in New York, Princeton University Art Museum, Huis Marseille, Amsterdam, and Die Photographische Sammlung/SK Stiftung Kultur, Cologne, Germany. He has organized exhibitions or published books with such artists as James Welling, Doug and Mike Starn, Doug Aitken, Richard Misrach, Nan Goldin, Ross Bleckner, Lynn Davis, and the estates of Berenice Abbott, Robert Mapplethorpe, Carlo Mollino, Willem de Kooning, Garry Winogrand, and Walker Evans.
Before completing his Ph.D. in history of art, he was Associate Curator of Photography at the Kinsey Institute, Indiana University, where he oversaw a collection of over 50,000 photographic prints and organized the exhibition George Platt Lynes: Photographs from the Kinsey Institute. From 1996 to 2003, Crump was founding director and CEO of Arena Editions, a publisher of illustrated books. Crump's work has most recently been published in Aperture, Archives of American Art Journal for the Smithsonian Museum, Art Review, Art in America, Print, and History of Photography.
Black White + Gray: A Portrait of Sam Wagstaff and Robert Mapplethorpe
Crump directed the feature-length documentary film Black White + Gray, which premiered in North America at the 2007 Tribeca Film Festival and in Europe at Art Basel. It explores the influence curator Sam Wagstaff, photographer Robert Mapplethorpe and musician/poet Patti Smith had on art in New York City in the 1970s. It began airing on the Sundance Channel in March 2008. It was named one of the 100 Best Films of 2008 by The Times, London  and in 2013 named among Blouin ArtInfo's 20 Must-Watch Artist Documentaries.
Troublemakers: The Story of Land Art
Crump wrote, produced and directed Troublemakers: The Story of Land Art. Set in the desolate desert spaces of the American southwest, this feature documentary film unearths the history of land art during the tumultuous late 1960s and early 1970s. Troublemakers was one of twelve documentary films selected by the 53rd New York Film Festival, September 25–October 11, 2015. The film released theatrically at IFC Center, New York, January 8, 2016.
Antonio Lopez 1970: Sex Fashion & Disco
In January 2016, filming commenced on Antonio Lopez 1970: Sex Fashion & Disco. Written, produced and directed by Crump, this documentary film concerns Antonio Lopez (1943-1987), the Puerto Rican-born, Bronx-raised, bisexual fashion illustrator of 1970s New York and Paris, and his colorful and sometimes outrageous milieu. In addition to Lopez, the film features Jessica Lange, Jerry Hall, Bob Colacello, Grace Jones, Grace Coddington, Tina Chow, Patti D'Arbanville, Karl Lagerfeld, Juan Ramos, Bill Cunningham, Jane Forth, Yves Saint Laurent, Donna Jordan, Paul Caranicas, Joan Juliet Buck, Corey Tippin and Michael Chow among others. Antonio Lopez 1970: Sex Fashion & Disco releases in 2017.
- (2013) James Welling: Monograph. Aperture. ISBN 978-1597112093
- (2012) Doug and Mike Starn: Gravity of Light. Skira Rizzoli. ISBN 978-0-8478-3897-4.
- (2010) Walker Evans: Decade by Decade. Hatje Cantz. ISBN 978-3-7757-2491-3.
- (2009) Variety: Photographs by Nan Goldin. Skira Rizzoli. ISBN 978-0-8478-3255-2.
- (2007) Albert Watson. Phaidon Press Limited. ISBN 978-0-7148-4755-9.
- (1995) F. Holland Day: Suffering the Ideal. Twin Palms Publishers. ISBN 978-0-944092-33-0.
- (1993) George Platt Lynes: Photographs from the Kinsey Institute. Bulfinch Press/Little Brown & Co. ISBN 978-0-8212-1996-6.
- (2014) Carlo Mollino: Polaroids, second edition. Damiani. ISBN 978-8862083782.
- (2013) It's Modern: The Eye and Visual Influence of Alexander Liberman. Rizzoli. ISBN 978-0847840717.
- (2012) Herb Ritts: L.A. Style. J. Paul Getty Museum. ISBN 978-1-60606-100-8.
- (2011) High Heels: Fashion, Femininity and Seduction. Thames & Hudson. ISBN 978-0-500-51572-3.
- (2010) Starburst: Color Photography in America 1970–1980. Hatje Cantz. ISBN 978-3-7757-2490-6.
- (2004) Meridel Rubenstein: Belonging: Los Alamos to Vietnam. St. Ann's Press. ISBN 978-0-9753302-0-3.
- (1998) When We Were Three: The Travel Albums of George Platt Lynes, Monroe Wheeler and Glenway Wescott. Arena Editions. ISBN 978-0-9657280-4-1.
- (1994) Harm's Way: Lust & Madness, Murder & Mahem. Twin Palms Publishers. ISBN 978-0-944092-28-6.
Select books (as editor/publisher)
- (2002) Garry Winogrand: 1964. Arena Editions. ISBN 978-1-892041-62-3.
- (2002) Berenice Abbott/Eugène Atget. Arena Editions. ISBN 978-1-892041-63-0.
- (2002) Carlo Mollino: Polaroids. Arena Editions. ISBN 978-1-892041-60-9.
- (2001) Robert Mapplethorpe: Autoportrait. Arena Editions. ISBN 978-1-892041-41-8.
- (2001) Richard Misrach: Golden Gate. Arena Editions. ISBN 978-1-892041-41-8.
- (2000) Nadav Kander: Beauty's Nothing. Arena Editions. ISBN 978-1-892041-40-1.
- (2000) Richard Misrach: Sky Book. Arena Editions. ISBN 978-1-892041-28-9.
- (2000) Walker Evans: The Lost Work. Arena Editions. ISBN 978-1-892041-29-6.
- (1999) Bruce Weber: Chop Suey Club. Arena Editions. ISBN 978-1-892041-19-7.
- (1999) Peter Beard: Fifty Years of Portraits. Arena Editions. ISBN 978-1-892041-15-9.
- (1999) Robert Mapplethorpe: Pictures. Arena Editions. ISBN 978-1-892041-16-6.
- (1998) Ross Bleckner: Watercolor. Arena Editions. ISBN 978-0-9657280-9-6.
- (1998) Lynn Davis: Monument. Arena Editions. ISBN 978-1-892041-07-4.
- (1998) Willem de Kooning: Drawing Seeing/Seeing Drawing. Arena Editions. ISBN 978-0-9657280-8-9
- (1998) Vik Muniz: Seeing is Believing. Arena Editions. ISBN 978-1-892041-00-5.
- (1997) Adam Fuss. Arena Editions. ISBN 978-1-891024-91-7.
- Eyemazing, Artists Issue No. 3 (Autumn 2009) Garry Winogrand: Women Are Beautiful: Interview with James Crump
- Art Journal, Vol. 53, No. 2 (Summer 1994) Exhibition Review, Personality versus Physique by Melody D. Davis
- Charles Hagen reviews the exhibition George Platt Lynes: Photographs from the Kinsey Institute, The New York Times
- Riza Cruz, "South by Southwest: Arena Draws a Crowd," Vanity Fair, October 2000.
- "James Crump: Keep the Book, Throw Out the Coffee Table", Santa Fe New Mexican, July 6–12, 2001
- Arena Editions, ISBNdb
- Earnest Hardy, Art Doc of the Week | Black White + Gray, CRAVEN, August 25, 2015
- Stephen Holden, A Collector and His Polaroid Passions, The New York Times, October 19, 2007
- Philip Gefter, The Man Who Made Mapplethorpe, The New York Times, April 24, 2007
- Jay Weisberg, Review of Black White + Gray, Variety Magazine, May 7, 2007
- Tribeca Film Festival Film Guide Archive
- The Times (London), "The 100 Best Films of 2008"
- Blouin ArtInfo, "20 Must-Watch Artist Documentaries"
- Su Wu, A New Documentary Sheds Light on the 'Troublemakers' of Land Art, T Magazine, May 4, 2015
- Christopher Bollen, LandArt, Interview Magazine, August 2015
- IMDb, Troublemakers: The Story of Land Art, 2015
- Laura Hoffmann, James Crump Discusses Troublemakers The Story of Land Art, Artforum, September 2, 2015
- Andy Battaglia, Land Art Gets Its Close-Up In New Film, Wall Street Journal September 27, 2015
- Eric Gibson, Troublemakers: The Story of Land Art Review, Wall Street Journal October 5, 2015
- Spotlight on Documentary at the 53rd New York Film Festival
- Gregg Kilday, Laura Poitras, Frederick Wiseman to Screen New Work at New York Film Festival, Hollywood Reporter, August 24, 2015
- First Run Features, Troublemakers Opens January 8 in NY
- Official site for Antonio Lopez 1970: Sex Fashion & Disco
- Antonio by Staff in Interview, March 2017
- The Man Who Seduced Jessica Lange, Jerry Hall and Karl Lagerfeld by Horacio Silva in W, March 2017
- Plunge into the Sex-Drenched World of Antonio Lopez by Hannah Bhuiya in Amuse, April 6, 2017
- The Look of '70s SoHo—Captured in One Apartment by Mary Kaye Schilling in T Magazine, February 9, 2017
- Artforum, (December 2014), Michael Fried, Books: Nine Scholars, Curators, Writers, and Artists Choose the Year's Outstanding Books
- Douglas F. Smith, book review Archived 2010-08-27 at the Wayback Machine., Library Journal.
- Jörg M. Colberg, book review, Conscientious.
- Lenora Jane Estes, book review, Vanity Fair.
- Photo District News Notable Books of 2009
- Douglas Stockdale, book review, photo-eye Magazine.
- Planet°, Sarah Coleman on Variety
- Times Literary Supplement (London), March 1, 1996, "Uranian, Ukrainian," Will Eames reviews F. Holland Day: Suffering the Ideal
- Interview Magazine (April 1996) "A New Day for an Old Tale," Brad Goldfarb on F. Holland Day: Suffering the Ideal
- Daily Beast, The Kings of Kodachrome by Philip Gefter
- NPR, The Crusade for Color by Claire O'Neill
- The New York Times Book Review, Christopher Benfey reviews When We Were Three: The Travel Albums of George Platt Lynes, Monroe Wheeler and Glenway Wescott
- Voice, January 19, 1999, "Photo Finish" by Vince Aletti
- The New York Times Book Review, Andy Grundberg reviews Harm's Way
- Washington Post, Garry Winogrand: Huge Influence, Early Exit by Frank Van Riper
- Art Journal, Vol. 63, No. 3 (Autumn 2004) The Evans File by Benjamin Lima
- The New York Times Book Review, Andy Grundberg reviews Adam Fuss