Dashner at CONduit 17, 2007
|Born||James Smith Dashner
November 26, 1972 
Austell, Georgia, U.S.
|Genre||Fantasy, science fiction, children's literature|
|Notable works||The 13th Reality, The Maze Runner|
James Smith Dashner born November 26, 1972 is an American writer of speculative fiction, primarily series for children or young adults, such as the Maze Runner series and the young adult fantasy series the 13th Reality. His 2008 novel The Journal of Curious Letters, first in the series, was one of the annual Borders Original Voices picks.
Life and career
James Dashner was born on November 26, 1972 in Austell, Georgia, to Linda and James Dashner. One of six children, he is a graduate of Duluth High School and Brigham Young University in Utah, where he received a master's degree in accounting. Dashner and his wife Lynette have four children and are now living in Utah.
Dashner's books are written for young teens. His work is typically within the adventure, survival, and science-fiction genres.
The Maze Runner, his most widely distributed book, reached 100 weeks' standing on the New York Times Best Seller list for Children's Series on September 21, 2014, two days after the release of the motion picture adaptation of the book.
- The Jimmy Fincher Saga
- A Door in the Woods (2003)
- A Gift of Ice (2004)
- The Tower of Air (2004)
- War of the Black Curtain (2005)
- The Journal of Curious Letters (2008)
- The Hunt for Dark Infinity (2009)
- The Blade of Shattered Hope (2010)
- The Void of Mist and Thunder (2012)
- The Maze Runner (2009)
- The Scorch Trials (2010)
- The Death Cure (2011)
- The Kill Order (2012)
- The Fever Code (due 27 September 2016)
- A Mutiny in Time (Book 1) (2012)
- The Iron Empire (Book 7) (2014)
- The Mortality Doctrine
- 2008: Whitney Award, Best Youth Fiction, The 13th Reality
- 2011: ALA Best Fiction for Young Adults, The Maze Runner
- 2012: Young Reader's Choice Award, intermediate grades, The Maze Runner
- "Georgia Authors: James Dashner". Georgia Center for the Book. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- James Dashner. "Great News from Borders Bookstores". jamesdashner.com.
- Stettler, Jeremiah (6 Mar 2008). "Quitting his day job". Salt Lake Tribune. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- Vice, Jeff (23 April 2010). "James Dashner hits it big with series". Deseret News.
- "Best Sellers > Series Books". The New York Times Book Review. 21 September 2014.
- Dashner announces The Fever Code on Twitter
- Kellog, Carolyn (2014-09-25). "More 'Maze Runner': James Dashner penning prequel for 2016". Jacket Copy. Los Angeles Times.
- Pavao, Kate (2012-08-02). "Q & A with James Dashner". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 15 October 2014.