James David Manning
|James David Manning|
February 20, 1947 |
Red Springs, North Carolina, U.S.
|Occupation||Pastor at the ATLAH Missionary church|
James David Manning (born February 20, 1947) is chief pastor at the ATLAH World Missionary Church on 123rd Street in New York City. Manning grew up in Red Springs, North Carolina, born to an African American family, and has been at ATLAH since 1981. ATLAH stands for All The Land Anointed Holy, which is Manning's name for Harlem.
Through the ATLAH church, Manning hosts an online series called The Manning Report, which features criticism on such topics as the negative influence of black celebrities, homosexuality, and the alleged criminal acts of current U.S. President Barack Obama. Manning's allegations have made him highly controversial. Manning has appeared on Fox News.
Manning was born on February 20, 1947, in Red Springs, North Carolina. He grew up in the town, which was then segregated. He picked cotton and pulled tobacco as a child, and took a bus to New York the day he graduated from high school. He became radicalized in the 1960s and said he was driven by his hatred of white people. As a younger man, Manning burglarized homes, mostly on Long Island. Between 1969 and 1974, he said, he broke into as many as 100 houses, and once threatened an associate with a loaded shotgun. He spent about 3 1⁄2 years in prison in New York and Florida for burglary, robbery, larceny, criminal possession of a weapon, and other charges before his release in 1978. While in prison, he became a devout Christian. Manning has said that his past life of crime and then incarceration helped to shape his wider perspective on life, and that he does not shy away from discussing it.
After beginning study in 1982, Manning graduated from Union Theological Seminary in the City of New York, where he was awarded a Master of Divinity in 1985. During his graduate studies, Manning went on a religious study tour to Latin America, and later to Africa. In his theological group study tour of Africa in 1985, he visited both Liberia in West Africa, founded by former African-American slaves, and apartheid-era South Africa. He met his future wife on the tour. Manning has said that his visit to Africa had an influence on his views about race, and that his witnessing of black societies other than African-Americans influenced his views on the nature of black people.
Manning claims to hold a Doctor of Philosophy degree from his own ATLAH Theological Seminary, an institution without educational accreditation. According to Manning, he attended the Oxford Round Table in 2004.
Forced sale of Manning's church
Manning owes $1.02 million through unpaid tax, unpaid water bills and general debts. His church, was due for public auction but a temporary stay has been granted. The Ali Forney Center, a nonprofit organization providing transitional homes for homeless LGBT youth reached its target of $200,000 to buy the church as of February 9, 2016. 
Ali Forney, who inspired the founding of the organization, was murdered in Harlem in 1997, only 12 blocks from ATLAH. In 2013 Islan Nettles was beaten to death in Harlem only one mile from ATLAH. Could there be a more just outcome to the ATLAH foreclosure than that the young LGBT people most endangered by the hatred and contempt Manning promotes would take over his building?(Carl Siciliano, Ali Forney Center founder)
Manning maintains this sale will not happen unless "men give birth through their anus". Manning said that he and his congregation will barricade themselves inside the church and arm themselves to stop new owners taking possession of it. Manning maintains the whole building should be tax exempt but tax authorities disagree as parts of the building are used for different purposes. A stay has been granted pending a full court hearing on June 1. ) Carl Siciliano is pleased his organization has more time for research and to develop a favorable financial package.
While we are excited at the possibility of acquiring the building at auction, we were anxious at needing to rush quickly into this process. The temporary restraining order allows us time to gain more knowledge and strengthen our position. (...) No matter the outcome of the legal hearing, our youth have already won.(Carl Siciliano)
Carl Siciliano notes sufficient money has been raised to acquire housing space for homeless LGBT young people at ATLAH or elsewhere. Sicliano sees it as a victory for the gay community and their allies and believes it shows they are a compassionate society who reject James Manning's hate message.
Criticism of homosexuality
Manning often receives media coverage for his condemnations of homosexuality, which include calling for homosexuals to be stoned to death. He has referred to himself as "the sodomite slayer" and stated, "I do think that anyone who promotes [homosexuality] as a lifestyle and tries to make it a national and international event and create warfare upon everybody else, then the appropriate response would be to stone them back to the Stone Age, or stone them back to hell."
Manning's views on homosexuality include the beliefs that "white homos are going to take the black woman’s man" and that President Obama is going to "use gay people to destroy the black community." He calls for the stoning of gay people and for Harlem to be a "homo-free zone."
In an interview with The Huffington Post, Manning stated, "The homosexual activists are flat-out lying about what Jesus would do regarding the detestable, abominable, diseased practice and act of homosexuality. They have been lying and saying that Jesus would simply love." Manning has stated that Starbucks will be "ground zero for Ebola" in the United States because homosexuals frequent the stores and "a lot of bodily fluids" are exchanged. Manning has also stated that Starbucks puts semen in its coffees, and that millions of people around the world "really think that the taste of semen is quite a flavor."
Criticism of Barack Obama
Manning has expressed contempt for a range of American political leaders, stating that both George W. Bush and his father had anal sex with 100 men and likening Barack Obama to Hitler and one of the two beasts in Revelation. Manning came to public attention during the 2008 presidential election after ATLAH posted several sermons of his on YouTube that were harshly critical of Obama. Among other accusations, he called Obama's mother "white trash" for becoming pregnant by a black man out of wedlock, an issue he discussed during a press conference at the National Press Club on December 8, 2008.
It is common knowledge that African men, coming from the continent of Africa — especially for the first time — do diligently seek out white women to have sexual intercourse with. Generally the most noble of white society choose not to intercourse sexually with these men. So it's usually the trashier ones who make their determinations that they're going to have sex.
Manning defended his sermons in an interview on Fox News, saying that "we also have to talk about his character." The sermons drew the attention of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, which filed a complaint with the Internal Revenue Service objecting to alleged violations of laws granting tax-free status to churches on the condition that they refrain from certain forms of political activity.
Manning has continued his criticisms of Obama since the election, frequently calling him a criminal and "long-legged mack daddy." He produced a video in summer 2009 in which he predicted that there would be a white backlash against Obama, complete with riots, and he attended one of the first "birther" events. In an interview with the Israeli radio station Arutz Sheva, Manning asserted that Obama had chosen to befriend Muslims instead of Jews; he also offered praise of Meir Kahane.
After Bill O'Reilly, a commentator on Fox News, called birther lawyer Orly Taitz a "nut," Manning and Taitz organized a protest outside Fox News headquarters in New York City in November 2009, which drew an estimated 15 to 20 attendees.
In May 2010, Manning staged a show trial of Barack Obama at ATLAH for wire fraud, with Manning acting as prosecutor. Although the treason and sedition charges had been deleted from consideration at the trial, Manning expressed the opinion that Obama should be hanged.
In 2013, Manning accused Obama of having a “love child” and then shooting the mother outside the White House. In 2014, he prognosticated that Obama and Vladimir Putin would be outed as gay within 100 days.
In early 2016, Manning alleged that President Obama had murdered Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia.
When Manning's missionary church faced foreclosure in 2016, Manning alleged that President Obama had ordered for the church to be closed.
Manning's outlandish claims and allegations through social media have made him the subject to much scrutiny. He has appeared on Fox News, The Young Turks and a plethora of other social media entities.
Criticism of Ben Carson
Criticism of black leadership
In his sermons and in video messages posted on his church's website and on YouTube, Manning has denounced the influence of Charles Rangel, Al Sharpton, Cornel West and Jay-Z. He has also had harsh words for black people in general, and black men in particular.
Opposition to gentrification in Harlem
Manning is fiercely opposed to the gentrification of Harlem and calls for its residents to boycott its shops, restaurants, doctors, banks and churches. That action, combined with a general rent strike, would force all property owners out of Harlem, he said, leaving the neighborhood to its rightful inheritors: black people.
Manning calls his plan "No Dew, Nor Rain," after Elijah's warning to Ahab, king of Israel, of a coming drought. "When there's no dew, no rain, there's a drought — there's all kinds of suffering," Manning said. The whole of Harlem, he said, is to be a "drought zone."
Manning said the intent of the boycott was to return Harlem to its pregentrification days of 1990, without the crack cocaine, crime and boarded-up buildings. His hope, he says, is that declining property values will make housing affordable for black people.
- Manning, James (June 2, 2010), Pastor James David Manning BIO, retrieved November 16, 2011
- Williams, Timothy (2008-03-31). "Minister Sees Salvation of Harlem in Boycott". The New York Times. New York City, USA: Arthur Ochs Sulzberger, Jr. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2010-05-04.
- Angry neighbors call out gay-hating Pastor Manning for absurd slogans outside Harlem church
- "Pastor Manning on Hannity & Colmes - Video Dailymotion". Dailymotion. Retrieved 2016-03-28.
- Williams, Timothy (2008-03-31). "Minister Sees Salvation of Harlem in Boycott (page 2)". The New York Times. New York City, USA: Arthur Ochs Sulzberger, Jr. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2010-05-04.
- on YouTube, August 8, 2012
- Paul Vitello, "Pastors' Web Electioneering Attracts U.S. Reviews of Tax Exemptions", New York Times, September 2, 2008, retrieved 2008-09-20
- ATLAH Worldwide Ministries: About Pastor James David Manning and personal communication from UTS, 11-11-09
- About Pastor Manning: The Oxford Letter
- Ali Forney Center Hits Fundraising Goal to Buy Harlem Hate Church
- Ali Forney Center Nears Campaign Goal to Buy Hate Church: James Manning Vows to Fight Sale
- James David Manning isn’t pleased that ‘fags’ are trying to buy his church
- Support the #HarlemNoHate campaign
- Christian Hate Pastor: Gays Can’t Have My Church Until They Give Birth to Kids Through Their Anus
- Anti-gay pastor will barricade himself inside church to stop sale to ‘Sodomite faggots’
- Unpaid Bills Bedevil Harlem Church Known for Its Outspoken Pastor
- Support the #HarlemNoHate campaign
- This was postponed from April 21.Breaking News: No Foreclosure On ATLAH Church
- Closure of ‘Jesus would stone homos’ church delayed amid legal challenge
- Eric Donal (27 Jan 2015). "Pastor again warns of 'semen lattes' and says it is not his fault Moses wants to stone gays". RawStory.
- "The Sodomite Slayer". ATLAHWorldwide. Youtube. 24 Nov 2014.
As quoted by "Pastor James Manning: If I Were 'Homosexual Sodomite' I'd Hang Myself From An Oak Tree". On Top Magazine (self published).
- "George Bush Is A Skull & Bones Sodomite". ATLAHWorldwide. Youtube. 27 Jan 2015.
As quoted by Joe Jervis (28 Jan 2015). "Harlem Hate Pastor: George H.W. Bush Has Had Anal Sex With One Hundred Men". Blogspot.com (self published).
As quoted by Kyle Mantyla (28 Jan 2015). "Right Wing Round-Up - 1/28/15". Right Wing Watch. People for the American Way.
Joe Jervis: Harlem Hate Pastor: George H.W. Bush Has Had Anal Sex With One Hundred Men.
- Malone, Luke (25 March 2014). "Meet the New York City Pastor Who Wants to Stone Gays". Voactiv. Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- Tashman, Brian (28 February 2014). "Paranoia-Rama: Obama's Homo Demons, President Satan & Arizona Penis Cakes". Right Wing Watch. Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- Hallowell, Billy. "Pastor Posts Church Sign About 'Stoning' Gays That You'll Have to See to Believe". Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- Feeney, Michael J. "Harlem pastor James David Manning says gays are "outright bullies" after someone vandalizes his church message board with "God is Gay"". New York Daily News. Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- Sieczkowski, Cavan. "Anti-Gay Harlem Pastor Defends 'Jesus Would Stone Homos' Sign". Huffington Post. Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- Umberto Bacchi (6 Nov 2014). "Anti-Gay NYC Pastor James David Manning: 'Starbucks Flavours Coffee with Sodomites' Semen'". International Business Times.
- "Hate Pastor James David Manning's Homophobic Hits Of 2014". Vocativ. 31 Dec 2014.
- "Venti Frappuccino". Snopes.com. 7 Nov 2014.
- Nick Duffy (27 Jan 2015). "Pastor who claims Startbucks put semen in coffee admits he's been 'tempted' by the gay lifestyle". pinknews.co.uk.
- John L. Jackson Jr., "Are we entitled to all our 'opinions'?" at the Wayback Machine (archived March 4, 2009), Chronicle Review, November 14, 2008 (archived from the original on 2009-03-04)
- on 's channelYouTube, accessed 2008-06-04
- on YouTube, September 2, 2008
- David Weigel, "Case Not Closed: After losing at the Supreme Court, Obama conspiracy theorists meet the press", Slate, December 9, 2008
- "Pastor Defends Hate-Filled Obama Sermons", Fox News, March 28, 2008
- "Harlem pastor to discuss video", Pensacola News-Journal, September 3, 2009
- David Weigel, "'If I’m Not Dead on Monday, I Will Be Back'", Washington Independent, December 17, 2009.
- "Audio: Reverend Manning Talks About American Black-Jewish Relations", Arutz Sheva
- Koppelman, Alex (November 11, 2009), "Taitz's protest against Fox News falls flat", Salon, retrieved 2009-11-30
- Alex, Pareene (2010-05-17). "The trial of President Obama, Part 2". Salon. Retrieved November 30, 2013.
- Alex, Pareene (May 14, 2010). "Live from the Obama trial: Alex Pareene in Harlem". Salon. Retrieved November 30, 2013.
- Edwards, David. "New York pastor: Obama sending 'white homo demons' to 'scoop up' black men". Raw Story. Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- "Vladimir Putin will out Barack Obama as gay 'within 100 days', predicts crazed ATLAH reverend Dr James David Manning". The Independent. 11 Aug 2014.
- Brian Tashman (12 Jan 2015). "Right-Wing Pastor Claims Obama Made Deal With Terrorists To Attack Other Countries While He's President". Right Wing Watch. People for the American Way.
- "Right Wing Pastor Calls Ben Carson "Nigga"".
- "Harlem development pits African drummers against new condo owners", International Herald Tribune, August 11, 2007, accessed 2008-05-23
- Mara Altman, "Do the Dew", Village Voice, April 3, 2007, Retrieved 2008-05-23.
- "West Harlem Pastor Urges Participation in Rent Strike", Columbia Spectator, January 17, 2008, accessed 2008-05-23
- on YouTube