Deen in 2010
Bryan Matthew Sevilla
February 7, 1986
|Other names||James Dean|
|Height||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
|Weight||150 lb (68 kg)|
He entered the porn industry in 2004 at the age of 18. He has gained attention due to his relatively slender build, lack of tattoos and everyman appeal, bucking the stereotypical image of hypermasculine male actors in the pornography industry. In late 2015, multiple women came forward with allegations of sexual misconduct including rape.
Deen was born in Los Angeles County, California and raised in Pasadena, California. His father is a mechanical engineer and his mother is a computer electronic engineer, and one of them worked at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Sevilla graduated from La Cañada High School in 2004. At 17, Deen moved in with his father. He worked at a Starbucks for two years and took classes at Pasadena City College.
According to Deen, performing in pornographic films was his ambition since he was in kindergarten. After entering the pornography industry in 2004, he initially worked with older female performers. In 2009, he was named the "Male Performer of the Year" by AVN at the age of 22, making him the youngest actor to have won this award. Deen has a fan-following among teenage girls, a demographic that is typically not associated with the pornographic industry. In February 2012, ABC Nightline aired the feature Porn's Boy Next Door, which included interviews with both Deen and his fans. One fan described him as "the Ryan Gosling of porn".
In September 2012, Deen was a participant in a press conference, along with others opposing Los Angeles County Measure B, an initiative which would require condom usage in the pornographic film industry. Deen questioned the measure's constitutionality.
Deen's collaborations include work with NSFW site WoodRocket.com. As the host of original web series, James Deen Loves Food, Deen has been featured reviewing top restaurants, to ordering every item on a drive-thru menu at once, and creating a $580 burrito.
In January 2013, Deen took to crowdfunding site Kickstarter.com to raise funds for the mainstream steampunk Western film Cowboys & Engines. Deen is listed as the producer of the Bryn Pryor vehicle. The campaign surpassed its goal of $100,000 in 58 days. Actors Malcolm McDowell, Richard Hatch and Walter Koenig have signed on to the project.
He performed in about 3,300 videos in his pornographic career.
In February 2013, Deen was invited to return to his alma mater, Pasadena City College, by professor Hugo Schwyzer to speak to students about his career. The appearance, initially open to the public, was restricted by college administrators due to "public safety concerns" over "protesters". Deen was restricted to speaking to the students of Pasadena City College's "Navigating Pornography" class.
Deen has been invited to college and university campuses across the country to speak with students on legislation, condom use and contraception, relationships, media, and sexuality. Deen also spoke to students at the University of Wisconsin – Madison on April 18, dubbed A Night with James Deen: Pornography & Sex Ed, as the keynote for the university's Sexual Health Fest.
Deen was featured in a July 2012 GQ multi-page article, chronicling his work and personal life. GQ interviewed Deen again for an article about his workout regimen, in which he credited healthy eating habits, a "Jew stomach" and lots of sex. In 2013, Deen was listed as the only male performer to make the CNBC Dirty Dozen list of the porn industry's popular stars.
In April 2013, Deen filmed a pornographic scene with reality television participant Farrah Abraham, who had been in one of the Teen Mom series. Deen indicated that he was asked to pretend to be dating Abraham as part of a ploy to market the scene as an accidentally released sex tape, but that he refused to do so, arguing, "If you're going to make a celebrity sex tape and try to pass it off as an amateur home video, you don't hire a well-known porn star!".
Deen co-starred with Lindsay Lohan in Paul Schrader's 2013 film The Canyons, written by Bret Easton Ellis. In July 2013, Deen teamed with American pornographic actress Andy San Dimas, adult app store MiKandi and adult industry news source XBIZ, to release the first adult video production recorded with Google Glass. Within 24 hours, the censored trailer reached 1 million views on YouTube.
Deen filmed a sex scene with Huffington Post blogger and comedian Jenn Tisdale in late 2013, in a New York City hotel room, after she responded to an open invitation by Deen on Twitter. Tisdale performed in the scene under the name Gwen Derringer and the scene was released on the 2014 adult DVD entitled James Deen's Sex Tapes: Hotel Sex. From November 2015 to July 2017, in light of sexual assault allegations made against Deen, Tisdale addressed the issue by amending her original story about filming a sex video with Deen, saying she regretted contributing to the false image Deen projected of himself.
Deen has a sizable fan base; his fans, dubbed "Deenagers", have created social media fan pages on Tumblr, Pinterest and standalone fan sites. Deenagers regularly share and comment on Deen's work. In February 2013, Deen launched JamesDeenStore.com. In addition to Deen's films and adult novelties, the store features Deen's Baby Panda brand of clothing.
In January 2014, Deen joined the newly formed Adult Performer Advocacy Committee team (APAC), which provides representation for performers within the adult film industry, protects performers' rights, reviews existing health and safety protocols, and initiates new ones as needed. As part of the Committee's launch, APAC released a Porn 101 video. A DVD copy was released to all industry talent attending the recent Adult Entertainment Expo in Las Vegas, Nevada. Deen has served as Treasurer and served as Chairperson of APAC until December 2015, when he stepped down following accusations from fellow performers.
In June 25, 2014, Deen participated in a Reddit A.M.A.. Deen received over four thousand questions over the course of an hour, making Deen's AMA listed by Reddit as the most popular on the site as of the following morning. Questions ranged from those about his career, personal life, condom legislation, the Teen Mom Farrah Abraham sex tape and more.
From 2005 to 2011, Deen dated fellow pornography star Joanna Angel. In an interview with The Huffington Post from July 2013, porn actress Stoya stated that she was dating Deen. They dated from 2012 to 2014.
Rape and sexual misconduct allegations
On November 28, 2015, Deen was accused on Twitter of rape by the pornographic actress and writer Stoya, with whom he had previously been in a romantic relationship. Deen denied the allegations, calling them "false", "egregious", and "defamatory". Deen's former girlfriend Joanna Angel was one of the first performers to tweet support for Stoya. On The Jason Ellis Show, she accused Deen of being abusive during their six-year relationship.
Other women in the industry subsequently came forward with their stories of abuse, including Tori Lux and Ashley Fires. Kora Peters, Nicki Blue, Lily LaBeau and Bree Olson said Deen was unnecessarily rough during scenes. Amber Rayne recounted the time Deen had punched and injured her on set, though they became friends years later. Rayne had brushed off Deen's misconduct as a "newbie" mistake, but came forward when she realized that he was still abusing women.
Due to the allegations, Kink.com, HardX.com, and Evil Angel.com severed all ties with Deen, stating that "consent is sacrosanct". The Frisky cancelled Deen's sexual advice column and removed advertisements for and links to Deen's official site from previously published editions. Deen voluntarily resigned as chairman of the Adult Performer Advocacy Committee.
In december 2015, articles in The Daily Beast and The Huffington Post referred to Deen as the "Bill Cosby of porn". Deen later gave an interview to The Daily Beast where he claimed to be "baffled" by the accusations and denied or offered counter-explanations for them.
In July 2017 director Maria Demopoulos filed a lawsuit against Deen for blocking the distribution of a documentary that addresses the numerous rape and sexual assault allegations against him by stealing legal releases from her office.
|2009||Male Performer of the Year||N/A||Won|
|2013||Best Three-Way Sex Scene – Girl/Girl/Boy (with Asa Akira and Brooklyn Lee)||Asa Akira Is Insatiable 3|
|Crossover Star of the Year (tied with Sunny Leone)||N/A|
|Male Performer of the Year||N/A|
|2014||Best Three-Way Sex Scene – Boy/Boy/Girl (with Anikka Albrite and Ramon Nomar)||Anikka|
|Mainstream Star of the Year||N/A|
|Favorite Male Porn Star (Fan Award)||N/A|
|2015||Best Group Sex Scene (with A.J. Applegate, Erik Everhard, John Strong, Jon Jon, Mr. Pete, Mick Blue and Ramon Nomar)||Gangbang Me|
|Most Outrageous Sex Scene (with Adriana Chechik, Erik Everhard and Mick Blue)|
|Favorite Male Porn Star (Fan Award)||N/A|
|Mainstream Star of the Year||N/A|
|2016||Best Double Penetration Sex Scene (with Erik Everhard and Riley Reid)||Being Riley|
|Best Group Sex Scene (with Erik Everhard, Keisha Grey, John Strong, Jon Jon and Mick Blue)||Gangbang Me 2|
|2010||Best Male Performer (Editor's Choice)||Won|
|2012||Best Male Performer (Fan's Choice)|
|2014||Best Male Performer (Editor's Choice)|
|2010||Male Performer of the Year||N/A||Won|
|2013||Male Performer of the Year||N/A|
|Crossover Star of the Year||N/A|
|2014||Male Performer of the Year||N/A|
|Crossover Star of the Year||N/A|
|Best Actor – Feature Movie||The New Behind the Green Door|
|2015||Male Performer of the Year||N/A|
|Best Scene – Non-Feature Release (with Adriana Chechik, Criss Strokes, Erik Everhard, John Strong and Mick Blue)||Gangbang Me|
|Best Scene – Vignette Release (with Ava Dalush)||I Love My Hot Wife|
|Best On-Screen Chemistry (with Joanna Angel)|
|2009||Male Performer of the Year|
|Best On-Screen Chemistry (with Joanna Angel)|
|2013||Mainstream Adult Media Favorite|
|2014||Mainstream Adult Media Favorite|
- James Deen at the Internet Adult Film Database
- "What Women Want: Porn and the Frontier of Female Sexuality". Good. November 15, 2011. Retrieved November 23, 2011.
- Jane Cadzow (October 4, 2014). "Meet James Deen, porn star for women". The Sydney Morning Herald: Good Weekend.
- Johnson, Zach (June 13, 2012). "Lindsay Lohan, Porn Star James Deen Costarring in The Canyons". Us Weekly. Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- "My Birthday Is in a Week Bitches!". James Deen official blog. February 1, 2012. Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- "Happy Birthday to Me". James Deen official blog. February 7, 2012. Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- Snow, Aurora. "James Deen, the Bill Cosby of Porn? A Third Accuser Comes Forward". The Daily Beast. Retrieved December 3, 2015.
- Tower, Wells (July 2012). "The Well-Hung Boy Next Door, Page 3". GQ Magazine. Retrieved July 9, 2012.
- James Deen Interview. Event occurs at 12:25. Retrieved June 18, 2012 – via YouTube.
- "Episode #14: James Deen and Traci Stumpf". The Morning After Podcast. Retrieved May 21, 2012. Event occurs at 01:22.
- Miller, Julie (August 2, 2013). "James Deen on The Canyons, Adult Film Clichés, and Sydney Leathers' Potential Porno". Vanity Fair. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- Pope, Braxton (August 1, 2013). "In Lindsay's Stardust Orbit". Vanity Fair. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- La Cañada High School Omega. 2004.
- Gold, Lauren (February 25, 2013). "Adult film star James Deen to speak at Pasadena City College". Los Angeles Daily News. Los Angeles Newspaper Group. Archived from the original on February 27, 2013. Retrieved February 26, 2013.
- Tower, Wells (July 2012). "The Well-Hung Boy Next Door". GQ Magazine. Retrieved July 8, 2012.
- Vega, Cecilia; Przygoda, Dan (February 3, 2012). "Teens Swoon For Porn's 'Approachable' Face". ABC Nightline. Retrieved February 10, 2012.
- Kellam, Mark (September 20, 2012). "Porn star joins valley business leaders in opposing condom requirement for adult film productions". Burbank Leader. Retrieved April 10, 2017.
- "Food Porn: James Deen Makes The World's Most Expensive Burrito (SFW)". laist.com. Archived from the original on February 19, 2013. Retrieved May 4, 2013.
- "Help Fund 'Cowboys & Engines: A Steampunk Film' Starring 'Totally Rad Show's Jeff Cannata". slashfilm.com. Retrieved May 4, 2013.
- "Kickstart This: Steampunk Western Adventure 'Cowboys & Engines'". firstshowing.net. Retrieved May 4, 2013.
- "Cowboys & Engines: A Steampunk Western". kicktraq.com. Retrieved May 4, 2013.
- "Movies: More actors jump on board Cowboys and Engines". majorspoilers.com. Retrieved May 4, 2013.
- "Pasadena City College officials: Lecture from adult film star moved, closed to public and press". Pasadena Star-News. Archived from the original on May 4, 2013. Retrieved May 4, 2013.
- "James Deen Speaking at Pasadena City College Stirs Controversy". HuffPost. February 27, 2013. Retrieved May 4, 2013.
- "James Deen to Deliver Keynote for UW-Madison Sex Health Fest". AVN. Retrieved May 4, 2013.
- "The Well-Hung Boy Next Door". GQ. Retrieved May 4, 2013.
- "The James Deen Workout". GQ. Retrieved May 4, 2013.
- "he Dirty Dozen 2013 – Porn's Most Popular Stars". CNBC. Archived from the original on December 3, 2013. Retrieved May 14, 2013.
- "James Deen: I refused to pretend to date 'Teen Mom' Farrah". Clicker.com. April 11, 2013. Archived from the original on April 13, 2013. Retrieved April 10, 2017.
- "The Daily Lindsay". Philadelphia Daily News. June 14, 2012. Retrieved January 13, 2014.
- Rodriguez, Ariana (July 24, 2013). "First Google Glass Porn Hits 1 Million Views, BTS Released". XBIZ. Retrieved October 29, 2013.
- Tisdale, Jenn (November 4, 2013). "My Amateur Porn Date With James Deen". HuffPost. Retrieved December 26, 2013.
- "James Deen's Sex Tapes: Hotel Sex". bushdvd.com. 2014.
- Tisdale, Jenn (November 1, 2013). "This One Time: My Amateur Porn Date With James Deen". Brightest Young Things. Archived from the original on December 8, 2015.
- Tisdale, Jenn (November 1, 2013). "This One Time: My Amateur Porn Date With James Deen". Brightest Young Things. Archived from the original on July 8, 2017.
- "JamesDeenStore.com Now Open for Business". AVN. Retrieved December 12, 2014.
- "James Deen Launches Online Store". XBIZ. Retrieved December 12, 2014.
- "Adult Performer Advocacy Committee Releases Launch Statement". AVN. Retrieved December 15, 2014.
- "Adult Celebs Form Committee to Teach 'Porn 101'". XBIZ. Archived from the original on December 16, 2014. Retrieved December 15, 2014.
- "New Performer Advocacy Group Releases Educational 'Porn 101'". AVN. Retrieved December 15, 2014.
- "APAC Announces Results of Board of Directors Election". AVN. Retrieved December 15, 2014.
- Carroll, Rory (November 30, 2015). "Porn industry groups cut ties to star James Deen amid sexual assault claims". The Guardian.
- "Everything you wanted to know about James Deen's life in porn". Daily Dot. Retrieved December 16, 2014.
- "James Deen Reddit AMA". AskMen. Retrieved December 16, 2014.
- "Joanna Angel accuses James Deen of abuse during their six-year relationship". Death and Taxes Magazine. Retrieved December 4, 2015.
- Moye, David (June 17, 2013). "Stoya, Porn Star: My Dad Says I Ruined Porn For Him". HuffPost. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- Burstein, Nathan (November 23, 2011). "Meet 'James Deen,' Jewish porn star". Haaretz. Retrieved June 15, 2012.
- Lowenfeld, Jonah (November 17, 2011). "James Deen, the lanky, Jewish porn star you've (maybe) never heard of". The Jewish Journal. Retrieved June 15, 2012.
- "Top 20 Under 40 Los Angeles – James Deen – Page1". Us.shalomlife.com. Archived from the original on May 20, 2013. Retrieved May 18, 2013.
- Soave, Robby (November 12, 2014). "Porn Star James Deen Is a Raging Libertarian, Hates Affirmative Consent". Reason. Retrieved April 10, 2017.
- Michael Stewart/Getty Images (November 30, 2015). "Porn Star Stoya's Rape Allegations Against James Deen Prompt Powerful Hashtag". HuffPost. Retrieved December 3, 2015.
- Mary Elizabeth Williams. "Stoya's James Deen bombshell: The porn star's shocking revelation could change how we talk about consent". Salon. Retrieved December 3, 2015.
- "Second porn star accuses James Deen of sexual assault". Daily News. New York. Retrieved December 3, 2015.
- Stefania D'Alessandro (November 30, 2015). "Two More Adult Actresses Accuse James Deen Of Sexual Assault". HuffPost. Retrieved December 3, 2015.
- Ronan, Alex (November 30, 2015). "More Women Have Accused James Deen of Assault". New York. Retrieved December 3, 2015.
- "Porn actress Nicki Blue alleges James Dean sexually assaulted her with horrific acts – in an off-camera attack at a wrap party". Daily Mailaccessdate=December 4, 2015. December 3, 2015.
- Clark-Flory, Tracy (December 3, 2015). ""Help Me": Porn Performers Detail New Allegations Against James Deen". Vocativ. Retrieved April 10, 2017.
- McDonell-Parry, Amelia (December 7, 2015). "Bree Olson On James Deen During Periscope Broadcast: "He's A Sadist". The Frisky. Retrieved April 10, 2017.
- Hanson, Hilary (December 4, 2015). "What To Know About The Sexual Assault Allegations Against James Deen". HuffPost.
- Snow, Aurora (December 8, 2015). "James Deen Breaks His Silence: 'I Am Completely Baffled' by Rape Allegations". The Daily Beast. Archived from the original on December 9, 2015. Retrieved April 10, 2017.
- David Sullivan (January 11, 2009). "2009 AVN Award-Winners Announced". AVN. Retrieved April 23, 2015.
- "The 2013 AVN Award Winners". AVN. January 23, 2013. Retrieved April 23, 2015.
- "AVN Announces the Winners of the 2014 AVN Awards". AVN. January 21, 2014. Retrieved April 23, 2015.
- "AVN Announces the Winners of the 2015 AVN Awards". AVN. January 24, 2015. Retrieved April 23, 2015.
- "AVN Announces the Winners of the 2016 AVN Awards". AVN. January 23, 2016. Retrieved January 25, 2016.
- Steve Javors (October 13, 2010). "NightMoves Announces 2010 Awards Winners". AVN. Retrieved April 23, 2015.
- Peter Warren (October 8, 2012). "20th Annual NightMoves Awards Heats Up Tampa". AVN. Retrieved April 23, 2015.
- Bob Johnson (October 13, 2014). "NightMoves Awards Winners Announced". XBIZ. Retrieved April 23, 2015.
- Lyla Katz (February 11, 2010). "XBIZ Awards 2010 Winners Announced". XBIZ. Retrieved April 23, 2015.
- Dan Miller (January 12, 2013). "2013 XBIZ Award Winners Announced". XBIZ. Retrieved April 23, 2015.
- Dan Miller (January 25, 2014). "2014 XBIZ Award Winners Announced". XBIZ. Retrieved April 23, 2015.
- Dan Miller (January 16, 2015). "2015 XBIZ Award Winners Announced". XBIZ. Retrieved April 23, 2015.
- David Sullivan (May 1, 2008). "XRCO Announces 2008 Award Winners". AVN. Retrieved April 23, 2015.
- Tod Hunter (April 17, 2009). "XRCO Winners Announced". XBIZ. Retrieved April 23, 2015.
- Peter Warren (April 26, 2013). "2013 XRCO Award Winners Announced to Full, Raucous House". AVN. Retrieved April 23, 2015.
- Peter Warren (April 17, 2014). "30th Annual XRCO Awards Takes It Back Home". AVN. Retrieved April 23, 2015.
- Tracy Clark-Flory, A Male Porn Star Speaks, July 27, 2011, Salon. Retrieved October 29, 2014.
- ABC Nightline Interview
- GQ magazine issue, June 2012
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to James Deen.|