James E. Proctor Jr.
James E. Proctor Jr.
|Member of the Maryland House of Delegates|
from the 27A district
May 1990 – September 2015
|Preceded by||William R. McCaffrey|
|Succeeded by||Elizabeth G. (Susie) Proctor|
James Edward Proctor Jr.
June 14, 1936
Washington, D.C., U.S.
|Died||September 10, 2015 (aged 79)|
|Spouse(s)||Elizabeth G. Proctor|
James Edward Proctor Jr. (June 14, 1936 – September 10, 2015) was an American politician who represented district 27A in the Maryland House of Delegates.
James Proctor was born in Washington, D.C. on June 14, 1936. He grew up in Washington and attended Dunbar High School. He served in U.S. Air Force from 1961 to 1962 and again in 1968. Following the service he entered Bowie State College and earned his B.S. in elementary education in 1969, and then his M.Ed in 1972. After 17 years as a secondary school principal, Proctor retired from the education arena and devoted himself full-time to the political arena. He died on September 10, 2015 of heart disease.
In the legislature
Proctor became a member of the House of Delegates in May 1990 when he was appointed to fill the vacancy caused when Delegate William R. McCaffrey retired. He served on the Rules and Executive Nominations Committee, the Spending Affordability Committee and was a member of the Legislative Black Caucus of Maryland. He also served as the vice-chairman of the House Appropriations Committee until his death in 2015.
2006 General election results, District 27A
- Voters to choose two:
Name Votes Percent Outcome James E. Proctor Jr., Democratic 19,829 40.3% Won Joseph F. Vallario Jr., Democratic 18,677 38.0% Won Kenneth S. Brown, Democratic 5,687 11.6% Lost Antoinette "Toni" Jarboe-Duley, Democratic 4,948 10.1% Lost
- "Election Profiles - James E. Proctor Jr. - Maryland State House, District 27A (washingtonpost.com)". The Washington Post.
- Hernández, Arelis R. (11 September 2015). "Del. James Proctor, Maryland lawmaker, dies at 79". The Washington Post.
- "James E. Proctor, Jr., Maryland State Delegate". Maryland Manual On-Line. Maryland State Archives.
- "Hogan appoints Proctor, Sanchez to House of Delegates". The Enquirer-Gazette. 15 October 2015.
- "Official 2006 Gubernatorial General Election results for Legislative District 27A". The State Board of Elections. State Board of Elections. Retrieved September 7, 2007.