James E. Ryan (educator)
James E. Ryan
|9th President of the University of Virginia|
|Assumed office |
August 1, 2018
|Preceded by||Teresa A. Sullivan|
|Dean of the Harvard Graduate School of Education|
September 1, 2013 – June 30, 2018
|Preceded by||Kathleen McCartney|
|Succeeded by||Bridget Terry Long|
James Edward Ryan
1966/1967 (age 52–53)
|Spouse(s)||Katie Homer Ryan|
|Alma mater||Yale University (BA)|
University of Virginia (JD)
|Profession||Dean, Professor, Lawyer|
|Website||Office of the President|
James Edward Ryan is an American educator, author, lawyer, and legal scholar. A graduate of the University of Virginia School of Law and distinguished professor, Ryan took office as the 9th President of the University of Virginia on August 1, 2018.
Previously, he served as 11th dean of the Harvard Graduate School of Education and the Charles William Eliot Professor of Education. He was installed as dean on July 1, 2013, succeeding Kathleen McCartney, who had been named President of Smith College. He is also the author of Wait, What?: And Life's Other Essential Questions and Five Miles Away, A World Apart: One City, Two Schools, and the Story of Educational Opportunity in Modern America. On September 15, 2017, it was announced that he would replace Teresa Sullivan as the ninth President of the University of Virginia.
His first act upon his inauguration on October 19, 2018, was to announce that in-state undergraduates from families making less than $30,000 per year would receive scholarships covering tuition, room, and board; and that in-state undergraduates from families making less than $80,000 per year would receive full scholarships covering tuition.
Prior to serving as dean of Harvard Graduate School of Education, Ryan was the Matheson and Morgenthau Distinguished Professor of Law and Weber Research Professor of Civil Liberties and Human Rights at the University of Virginia School of Law. He graduated from Yale University and University of Virginia School of Law, and clerked for then-chief judge of the 9th Circuit J. Clifford Wallace and then-Supreme Court Chief Justice William Rehnquist.
Ryan lives with his family in Charlottesville, Virginia. Prior to accepting the UVA presidency, Ryan lived in Lincoln, Massachusetts with his wife, four children, and various animals including two cats, two dogs, and nine chickens.
- "James E. Ryan". scholar.google.com. Retrieved June 10, 2017.
- "Harvard Graduate School of Education's New Dean Announced". Harvard Magazine. 2013-06-10. Retrieved 2017-05-06.
- "UVA Law Professor Named Dean of Harvard Education School". University of Virginia School of Law. 2013-06-09. Retrieved 2017-05-06.
- "How A Harvard Dean's Commencement Speech On Life's Big Questions Went Viral". www.wbur.org. Retrieved 2017-06-13.
- Harvard dean on book inspired by his popular graduation speech, retrieved 2017-06-13
- McCance, McGregor (September 15, 2017). "UVA Today: Board of Visitors Selects James E. Ryan as University of Virginia's Next President". news.virginia.edu. Retrieved September 15, 2017.
- Walsh, John (October 19, 2018). "University of Virginia Tuition Will Be Free for Students Whose Families Earn Less than $80,000". businessinsider.com. Retrieved December 30, 2018.
- "5 Essential Questions for Success". Uloop. Retrieved 2017-05-06.