James E. Shadid
|James Edward Shadid|
|Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois|
March 12, 2012
|Preceded by||Michael P. McCuskey|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois|
March 10, 2011
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Michael M. Mihm|
|Born||James Edward Shadid
1957 (age 59–60)
|Education||Bradley University B.S.
John Marshall Law School J.D.
James Edward Shadid (born 1957) is the Chief United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois.
Early life and education
Shadid was born in 1957 in Peoria, Illinois. His father is George Shadid, who eventually became sheriff of Peoria County and Illinois state senator. James Shadid earned a Bachelor of Science from Bradley University in 1979 and his Juris Doctor from John Marshall Law School in Chicago in 1983.
Shadid was in private practice from 1983 to 2001, additionally acting as part-time public defender in Peoria County from 1986 to 2001 and a Commissioner of the Illinois Court of Claims from 1996 to 2001. In December 2001, Shadid was appointed to the Tenth Judicial Circuit of Illinois. He was primarily in felony court, with other work in misdemeanor and civil court.
Federal judicial service
On May 27, 2010, President Barack Obama nominated Shadid to replace Michael Mihm on the United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois. On March 7, 2011 he was confirmed by the Senate by a vote of 89 ayes to 0 nays and received his commission on March 10, 2011. Shadid became chief judge of the Central District on March 12, 2012; the position is rotated to a different judge in the district every seven years, and Shadid was sworn in by Michael P. McCuskey, who became chief judge in 2004 or 2005.
- Senate Judiciary Committee Questionnaire: James Edward Shadid, (June 4, 2010).
- Zalaznik, David (2011-04-27). "Judge James Shadid sworn in". PJStar.com. Peoria, Illinois. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
U. S. Sen. Richard Durbin, D-Ill., reaches in front of George Shadid Wednesday to shake the hand of Shadid's wife, Lorraine, after their son, newly sworn U. S. District Judge James Shadid, gave most of the credit for his opportunity to his mother.
- 'Illinois Blue Book 1993-1994, Biographical Sketch of George Shadid, pg. 111
- President Obama Names Two to United States District Court, 5/27/10, whitehouse.gov (May 27, 2010).
- "Shadid, James Edward - Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- Andy Kravetz, Shadid recommended for federal bench, Peoria Journal Star (February 26, 2010).
- "Obama nominates former baseball MVP for federal bench". Hilltopics. Peoria, Illinois: Bradley University. 16 (3). Summer 2010.
- "Michael McCuskey - Board Chair". Normal, Illinois: Illinois State University. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- "Shadid takes oath as chief judge". Peoria Journal Star. Peoria, Illinois: GateHouse Media. March 13, 2012. p. B1. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- Illinois State University's Trustee biography says that McCuskey's chief judge term started on December 14, 2004; Kravetz in the Peoria Journal Star says "since 2005".
Michael M. Mihm
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois
Michael P. McCuskey
|Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois