James Edward Tierney Aitchison
- For others similarly named, see the James Aitchison navigation page
|James Edward Tierney Aitchison|
|Born||28 October 1836
|Died||30 September 1898
Kew Green, London
|Occupation||surgeon and botanist|
He was the son of Major J Aitchison HEICS. He obtained his doctorate in medicine at Edinburgh University in 1858, and then entered the Bengal Medical Service. He harvested plants in India from 1861 to 1872, in Afghanistan from 1879 to 1885 and occasionally in Ireland 1867 to 1869. He published a catalog of plants of Punjab and Sindh in 1869, "On the flora of Kuram Valley, etc.. Afghanistan" in the Journal of the Linnean Society in 1880–1881 and various other publications in the publications of the Linnean Society of London (he was a member from 1863). He became a member of the Royal Society in 1883. His herbarium is preserved in the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, and Calcutta.
- A catalogue of the plants of the Punjab and Sindh, Taylor and Francis, 1869
- The zoology of the Afghan Delimitation Commission, 1888
- Waterston, Charles D; Macmillan Shearer, A (July 2006). Former Fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh 1783-2002: Biographical Index (PDF). I. Edinburgh: The Royal Society of Edinburgh. ISBN 978-0-902198-84-5. Retrieved 25 November 2011.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh, Volume 21, Botanical Society of Edinburgh, 1900
- Nature: international journal of science, Volume 27, Sir Norman Lockyer, Macmillan Journals ltd., 1883
- IPNI. Aitch.