This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
May 27, 1939 |
Los Angeles, California
|Occupation||Psychologist, Researcher, Author, Lecturer|
James Fadiman (Born 1939) is an American psychologist and writer. He is acknowledged for his extensive work in the field of psychedelic research. He co-founded along with Robert Frager the Institute of Transpersonal Psychology, which later became Sofia University (California), where he was a lecturer in psychedelic studies. Fadiman was born in Los Angeles and lived in Westwood. His father, William Fadiman, was a producer and story editor, and book reviewer in Hollywood, one of his credits being The Last Frontier.
While in Paris, his friend and former professor, Ram Dass (then known as Richard Alpert), introduced him to psilocibin. Fadiman was part of the team in the Psychedelics in problem-solving experiment, which was abruptly halted in 1966. He was a president of the Association for Transpersonal Psychology. He was also a director at the Institute of Noetic Sciences. Fadiman received a Bachelor of Arts degree from Harvard University and a Master's degree and a doctorate (both in psychology) from Stanford University.
Fadiman and Robert Frager published a textbook on personality theory, which was one of the first to incorporate Eastern theories of personality alongside Western approaches. Personality and Personal Growth has been republished in seven editions as of 2012.
He is married to documentary filmmaker Dorothy Fadiman and is the father of Florida Atlantic University professor Maria Fadiman. His uncle was Clifton Fadiman and he is a cousin of Anne Fadiman.
- The Psychedelic Explorer's Guide: Safe, Therapeutic, and Sacred Journeys Paperback (2011) ISBN 978-1594774027
- Be Love Now (with Rameshwar Das) (2010) ISBN 1-84604-291-7
- Personality and Personal Growth (7th Edition) (with Robert Frager) (2012) ISBN 0-13-144451-4
- The Other Side of Haight: A Novel (2004) ISBN 0-890-87984-2
- Essential Sufism (1998) Castle Books ISBN 978-0785809067
- Unlimit Your Life: Setting and Getting Goals (1989) ISBN 0-890-87562-6
- Motivation and Personality (with Robert Frager and Abraham Harold Maslow) (1987) ISBN 0-06-041987-3
- Transpersonal Education: A Curriculum for Feeling and Being (1976) Co-edited with Gay Hendricks. Prentice Hall, ISBN 0-1393-0461-4
- Workshops and Talks
- Psychedelic Horizons Beyond Psychotherapy, Psychedelic Science 2013 Conference - April 2013, Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies
- Psychedelics and Buddhism, October 12, 2012, Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies
- 2013 documentary film, Science and Sacraments
- 2009 documentary film, Inside LSD from National Geographic
- Late 1960s documentary film, Drugs in Our Culture from the Prelinger Archives
- "Jim Fadiman on Psychedelics". To the Best of Our Knowledge. May 26, 2013.
- Doody, Tim (July 27, 2012). "The Heretic". The Morning News. The Morning News. Retrieved August 20, 2012.
- "Jim Fadiman: Researcher in the Sky with Diamonds". Yale Daily News. November 9, 2012.
- "James Fadiman: Psychedelic Research and Applications". The Forum. October 10, 2013.
- "IONS Directory Profile". Institute of Noetic Sciences. Retrieved August 22, 2015.
- "President Neal King presents Inaugural Address". Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- "Transpersonal Conversations: James Fadiman, Ph.D. (2005)". Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- "William Fadiman, Biography". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved December 8, 2013.
- "William Fadiman, 90, Writer and Producer". Religion and Spirituality.com. August 7, 1999. Retrieved November 23, 2011.
- Linda Hubbard Gulker (May 5, 2011). "James Fadiman: Talking and writing about psychedelics". Menlo Park, California: InMenlo.
- "Inside LSD". National Geographic Explorer. November 3, 2009.
- "Board of Directors". Association for Transpersonal Psychology. Retrieved December 20, 2013.
- "Dr. James Fadiman". ZoomInfo. Retrieved December 20, 2013.
- Taylor, Eugene (2009-07-07). The Mystery of Personality: A History of Psychodynamic Theories. Springer. pp. 298–. ISBN 9780387981048. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "James Fadiman". To the Best of Our Knowledge. Retrieved December 20, 2013.
- The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. p. 5.
- "Concentric Media - The Film Team". Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- "Psychedelic Horizons Beyond Psychotherapy". Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies. Retrieved January 11, 2014.
- "Buddhism and Psychedelics: A Community Discussion with Kokyo Henkel and James Fadiman". Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies. October 20, 2012. Retrieved January 11, 2014.
- "Science and Sacraments: Clips of the Cast". Coleen LeDrew Elgin, Elgin Productions. Retrieved January 11, 2014.
- "Inside LSD (Full Length Documentary)". National Geographic Channel. Retrieved December 20, 2013.
- "Drugs in Our Culture". Prelinger Archives. Retrieved December 20, 2013.