|Occupation||Psychologist, researcher, author, lecturer|
James Fadiman (born May 27, 1939) is an American psychologist and writer. He is acknowledged for his extensive work in the field of psychedelic research. He co-founded along with Robert Frager the Institute of Transpersonal Psychology, which later became Sofia University, where he was a lecturer in psychedelic studies.
Fadiman was born in Los Angeles and lived in Bel Air. His father, William Fadiman, was a producer and story editor, and book reviewer in Hollywood, one of his credits being The Last Frontier.
Education/research and psychedelic counterculture
Fadiman received a Bachelor of Arts degree from Harvard University in 1960 and a Master's degree and a doctorate (both in psychology) from Stanford University – the PhD in 1965. While in Paris in 1961, his friend and former Harvard undergraduate adviser, Ram Dass (then known as Richard Alpert), introduced him to psychedelics (reportedly LSD or psilocybin). As a graduate student at Stanford, Fadiman was Stewart Brand's LSD guide on Brand's first LSD trip in 1962, at Myron Stolaroff's International Foundation for Advanced Study in Menlo Park, California. While living in Menlo Park, Fadiman and his wife were Ken Kesey's Perry Lane neighbors and friends.
In 1963, Fadiman worked at Stanford's Augmentation Research Center, a division that did research on networked computing. Fadiman was also part of the team in the psychedelics in problem-solving experiment at the International Foundation for Advanced Study, which was abruptly halted in 1966.
Transpersonal psychology and personality theory
Fadiman and Robert Frager co-founded the Institute of Transpersonal Psychology (now known as Sofia University) in 1975. Fadiman was a president of the Association for Transpersonal Psychology. He was also a director at the Institute of Noetic Sciences from 1975–77.
Fadiman and Frager published a textbook on personality theory in 1976 titled Personality and Personal Growth, which was one of the first to incorporate Eastern theories of personality alongside Western approaches and the first of its kind to include chapters on women. Personality and Personal Growth has been republished in seven editions as of 2012.
He is married to documentary filmmaker Dorothy Fadiman and is the father of Florida Atlantic University professor Maria Fadiman. His uncle was Clifton Fadiman and he is a cousin of Anne Fadiman.
- The Psychedelic Explorer's Guide: Safe, Therapeutic, and Sacred Journeys Paperback (2011) ISBN 978-1594774027
- Be Love Now (with Rameshwar Das) (2010) ISBN 1-84604-291-7
- Personality and Personal Growth (7th Edition) (with Robert Frager) (2012) ISBN 0-13-144451-4
- The Other Side of Haight: A Novel (2004) ISBN 0-890-87984-2
- Essential Sufism (1998) Castle Books ISBN 978-0785809067
- Unlimit Your Life: Setting and Getting Goals (1989) ISBN 0-890-87562-6
- Motivation and Personality (with Robert Frager and Abraham Harold Maslow) (1987) ISBN 0-06-041987-3
- Transpersonal Education: A Curriculum for Feeling and Being (1976) Co-edited with Gay Hendricks. Prentice Hall, ISBN 0-1393-0461-4
- Workshops and Talks
- Psychedelic Horizons Beyond Psychotherapy, Psychedelic Science 2013 Conference - April 2013, Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies
- Psychedelics and Buddhism, October 12, 2012, Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies
- 2013 documentary film, Science and Sacraments
- 2009 documentary film, Inside LSD from National Geographic
- Late 1960s documentary film, Drugs in Our Culture from the Prelinger Archives
- "Jim Fadiman on Psychedelics". To the Best of Our Knowledge. May 26, 2013.
- Doody, Tim (July 27, 2012). "The Heretic". The Morning News. The Morning News. Retrieved August 20, 2012.
- Fadiman, Anne (November 9, 2012). "Jim Fadiman: Researcher in the Sky with Diamonds". Yale Daily News.
- Kohli, Manav (October 10, 2013). "James Fadiman: Psychedelic Research and Applications". The Forum.
- "IONS Directory Profile". Institute of Noetic Sciences. Retrieved August 22, 2015.
- "President Neal King presents Inaugural Address". Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- "Transpersonal Conversations: James Fadiman, Ph.D. (2005)". Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- "William Fadiman, Biography". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved December 8, 2013.
- "William Fadiman, 90, Writer and Producer". Religion and Spirituality.com. August 7, 1999. Retrieved November 23, 2011.
- "Dr. James Fadiman". ZoomInfo. Retrieved December 20, 2013.
- Gulker, Linda Hubbard (May 5, 2011). "James Fadiman: Talking and writing about psychedelics". Menlo Park, California: InMenlo.
- Bernstein, David (August 8, 2008). "Stewart Brand". The San Francisco Tape Music Center: 1960s Counterculture and the Avant-Garde. University of California Press. pp. 239–251. ISBN 9780520256170. Retrieved July 5, 2017.
- Brown, David Jay (October 24, 2015). "Creativity, Problem Solving, and Psychedelics: An Interview with James Fadiman". Frontiers of Psychedelic Consciousness: Conversations with Albert Hofmann, Stanislav Grof, Rick Strassman, Jeremy Narby, Simon Posford, and Others). Park Street Press. pp. 44–57. ISBN 9781620553923. Retrieved July 5, 2017.
- Turner, Fred (August 15, 2008). From Counterculture to Cyberculture: Stewart Brand, the Whole Earth Network, and the Rise of Digital Utopianism. University of Chicago Press. p. 61. ISBN 978-0226817422. Retrieved July 5, 2017.
- Robins, Cynthia. "Kesey's Friends Gather in Tribute". SF Gate. Retrieved July 5, 2017.
- Harman, Willis W.; Fadiman, James (1970). "Selective Enhancement of Specific Capacities Through Psychedelic Training". Psychedelics: The Uses and Implications of Hallucinogenic Drugs. Doubleday & Company. ISBN 978-0385087742.
- "Board of Directors". Association for Transpersonal Psychology. Retrieved December 20, 2013.
- Taylor, Eugene (July 7, 2009). The Mystery of Personality: A History of Psychodynamic Theories. Springer. pp. 298–. ISBN 9780387981048. Retrieved December 20, 2013.
- "James Fadiman". To the Best of Our Knowledge. Retrieved December 20, 2013.
- The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. p. 5.
- "Concentric Media - The Film Team". Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- "Psychedelic Horizons Beyond Psychotherapy". Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies. Retrieved January 11, 2014.
- "Buddhism and Psychedelics: A Community Discussion with Kokyo Henkel and James Fadiman". Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies. October 20, 2012. Retrieved January 11, 2014.
- "Science and Sacraments: Clips of the Cast". Coleen LeDrew Elgin, Elgin Productions. Retrieved January 11, 2014.
- "Inside LSD (Full Length Documentary)". National Geographic Channel. Retrieved December 20, 2013.
- "Drugs in Our Culture". Prelinger Archives. Retrieved December 20, 2013.