James Fitz-James Stuart, 3rd Duke of Berwick
|James FitzJames Stuart|
|Duke of Berwick
Duke of Liria and Xerica
|Spouse(s)||Maria Teresa de Silva y Alvarez de Toledo|
|Father||James Fitz-James Stuart, 2nd Duke of Berwick|
|Mother||Catalina Ventura de Portugal-Columbus, 9th Duquesa de Veragua y de La Vega|
|Born||28 December 1718
|Died||30 September 1785
Don Jacobo Francisco Eduardo Fitz-James Stuart y Colón de Portugal, 3rd Duke of Berwick (28 December 1718 – Valencia, 30 September 1785) was a Jacobite. On the death of his father, James Fitz-James Stuart, in 1738, he inherited his titles of Duke of Berwick and Duke of Liria and Xerica. (He also possessed many other titles in both Spain and England.) His mother was Spanish, and on her side he was a direct descendent of explorer Christopher Columbus.
Marriages and issue
On 26 July 1738, in Alba de Tormes, he married Maria Teresa de Silva y Alvarez de Toledo (6 May 1716 - 5 May 1790), daughter of Manuel Maria de Silva y Mendoza, (born 18 October 1677), 9th Conde de Galve, 7th son of the 5th Duke of Pastrana and Estremera and of the outstandingly wealthy Maria Teresa Alvarez de Toledo, (18 September 1691 - 1755), 11th Duquesa de Alba de Tormes, 8th duquesa de Huéscar, 4th Duquesa de Montoro, 6th Duquesa de Olivares, 7th Duquesa de Galisteo, Grandee of Spain, and a staggering amount of lesser Spanish noble titles (such as Marquessats, Earldoms, Baronetages, Viscountships and Lordships).
Titles and styles
- 3rd Duke of Berwick, Grandee of Spain
- 3rd Duke of Liria and Duke of Xérica, Grandee of Spain 1st Class
- 10th Duke of Veragua
- 3rd Earl of Tinmouth
- 9th Count of Gelves
- 3rd Baron Bosworth
- 1718–1738: Don James Fitz-James Stuart
- 1738–1785: His Excellency the Duke of Berwick, Duke of Liria and Jérica, Duke of Veragua, Earl of Tinmouth, Count of Gelves, Baron Bosworth, Grandee of Spain
- Profile of James Fitz-James Stuart, 3rd Duke of Berwick, grandesp.org.uk; accessed 27 April 2016.