James Foley (director)
December 28, 1953|
Brooklyn, New York, U.S.
James Foley (born December 28, 1953) is an American film director. His 1986 film At Close Range was entered into the 36th Berlin International Film Festival. Other films he has directed include Glengarry Glen Ross, based on the play of the same name by David Mamet, and The Chamber, based on the novel of the same name by author John Grisham. He also directed the two sequels to Fifty Shades of Grey, Fifty Shades Darker (2017) and Fifty Shades Freed (2018).
Foley was born in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, New York, the son of a lawyer. He graduated from the State University of New York at Buffalo, a flagship school of the SUNY system, in 1978. He continued his education earning an M.F.A in film study and production from the University of Southern California.
In 1984, Foley made his directorial debut with Reckless, which starred Aidan Quinn and Daryl Hannah. He directed Glengarry Glen Ross in 1992. The Corruptor, his action film starring Chow Yun-Fat and Mark Wahlberg, was released in 1999. His 2003 film, Confidence, starred Edward Burns. He directed Perfect Stranger, a thriller film starring Halle Berry, in 2007.
- Reckless (1984)
- At Close Range (1986)
- Who's That Girl (1987)
- After Dark, My Sweet (1990) (also screenwriter)
- Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)
- Two Bits (1995)
- The Chamber (1996)
- Fear (1996)
- The Corruptor (1999)
- Confidence (2003)
- Perfect Stranger (2007)
- Fifty Shades Darker (2017)
- Fifty Shades Freed (2018)
- Twin Peaks (1991, 1 episode)
- Gun (1997, 1 episode)
- Hannibal (2013, 1 episode)
- House of Cards (2013–2015, 12 episodes)
- Wayward Pines (2015, 1 episode)
- Billions (2016, 2 episodes)
Foley was also the best man at Madonna's wedding to Sean Penn.
- Nominated Golden Bear Award, Berlin Film Festival - At Close Range (1986)
- Nominated Golden Raspberry Award - Who's That Girl (1988)
- Nominated Critics Award, Deauville Film Festival - Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)
- Winner Copper Wing Tribute, Phoenix Film Festival - Career as director and screenwriter (2003)
- "Berlinale: 1986 Programme". berlinale.de. Retrieved 2011-01-14.
- James Foley Biography (1953-)
- Maslin, Janet (February 3, 1984). "The Screen - Reckless". The New York Times.
- Scarano, Ross (July 3, 2014). "Glengarry Glen Ross (1992) - The 100 Best Movies Streaming on Netflix Right Now". Complex.
- Levy, Emanuel (March 11, 1999). "Review: 'The Corruptor'". Variety.
- Fuchs, Cynthia (April 24, 2003). "Confidence (2003)". PopMatters.
- Bradshaw, Peter (April 13, 2007). "Perfect Stranger". The Guardian.
|This article about a United States film director born in the 1950s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|