Frain at the 2010 San Diego Comic Con
14 March 1968|
Leeds, West Riding of Yorkshire, England, UK
Marta Cunningham (m. 2004)
James Dominic Frain (born 14 March 1968) is an English stage and screen actor. His best known roles include those of Thomas Cromwell in the TV series The Tudors (2007–2009), vampire Franklin Mott in season three of the HBO drama True Blood, as Richard Neville, 16th Earl of Warwick, in the BBC drama serial The White Queen (2013), as Ferdinand in Orphan Black (2015), Theo Galavan/Azrael in Season 2 of Gotham and as Ambassador Sarek in Star Trek Discovery (2017).
Frain played leading roles in the BBC dramas Armadillo (2001), The Buccaneers (1995) and The Mill on the Floss (1997) and the films Hilary and Jackie (1998) and Elizabeth (1998). He also appeared as Chief Magistrate Gérard de Villefort in The Count of Monte Cristo and Bassianus in Titus.
Frain was born in Leeds, West Riding of Yorkshire, and brought up in Stansted Mountfitchet, Essex, the eldest of eight children of a teacher mother and a stockbroker father. He was educated at Newport Free Grammar School, studied English, Film and Drama at the University of East Anglia and trained as an actor at the Central School of Speech and Drama in London.
While in his final year of drama school, he made his film debut in Shadowlands (1993) after being spotted by Richard Attenborough. He was nominated for Best Actor at the 1995 Venice Film Festival for his performance as a Northern Irish terrorist in Thaddeus O'Sullivan's film, Nothing Personal (1995), and for Best Supporting Actor at the Genies in Toronto for his performance in István Szabó's Sunshine (1999).
He has been a regular on the stage in the United Kingdom, appearing with the Royal Shakespeare Company and Royal Court Theatre, as well as on the West End. He has also appeared on Broadway and was a recipient of the 2008 Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Ensemble Performances along with the rest of the cast of The Homecoming (2007).
He has appeared in a number of television series, such as Armadillo (2001); 24 (2005); Invasion (2006); and The Closer (2006). His more recent roles include Thomas Cromwell in Showtime's The Tudors; the villainous billionaire 'Chess' in the NBC superhero/crime drama series The Cape; heroic Templar Sir Gregory in the Syfy original film Dark Relic (2010); and vampire Franklin Mott in the HBO drama True Blood. In season 2 of Grimm, Frain joined the cast as a mysterious recurring character named Eric Renard.
In 2004, Frain married director Marta Cunningham; they have two children. In his spare time, he is an amateur artist.
- Shadowlands (1993) – Peter Whistler
- Nothing Personal (1995) – Kenny
- An Awfully Big Adventure (1995) – John Harbour
- Rasputin: Dark Servant of Destiny (1996) – Prince Felix Yusupov
- Loch Ness (1996) – Adrian Foote
- Red Meat (1997) – Victor
- Robinson Crusoe (1997) – Defoe's Publisher
- Elizabeth (1998) – Spanish Ambassador Álvaro de la Quadra
- Hilary and Jackie (1998) – Daniel Barenboim
- Sunshine (1999) – Gustave Sonnenschein
- Titus (1999) – Bassianus
- Where the Heart Is (2000) – Forney Hull
- Reindeer Games (2000) – Nick
- Armadillo (2001) – Lorimer Black
- The Count of Monte Cristo (2002) – J.F. Villefort
- Path to War (2002) – Richard N. Goodwin
- Into the Blue (2005) – Reyes
- The Front Line (2006) – Eddie Gilroy
- Everybody's Fine (2009) – Tom
- Tron: Evolution (video game) (2010) – Zuse
- Tron: Legacy (2010) – Jarvis
- Dark Relic (2010) - Sir Gregory
- Water for Elephants (2011) – Rosie's Caretaker
- Transit (2012) – Marek
- The Lone Ranger (2013) – Barret
- Prime Suspect (1993 miniseries) – Jason Baldwin
- The Buccaneers (1995 miniseries) – Julius Folyat
- Tales from the Crypt (1996) – Elliot
- Macbeth on the Estate (1997 TV film) – Macbeth
- Arabian Nights (2000) – Schahzenan/Harun al-Rashid
- The Vice (2001 TV series) – Gordon Ellis
- Spartacus (TV film) (2004) – David
- Empire (2005) – Marcus Junius Brutus
- 24 (2005) – Paul Raines
- Threshold (2005)
- Invasion (2006) – Eli Szura
- The Closer (2006)
- The Tudors (2007–2009) – Thomas Cromwell
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent (2008) – Dean Holiday
- Fringe (2008) – Salmon Kohl
- In Plain Sight (2009) – Philip Ashmore/Roy Murray
- Grey's Anatomy (2009) – Tom
- Lie to Me (2009) – Lance McClellan
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (2009) – Martin Gold
- Californication (2009) – Paul
- FlashForward (2009–2010) – Dr. Gordon Myhill
- Leverage (2010) – John Douglas Keller
- CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (2010) – Jeffrey Hughes
- CSI: Miami (2010) – Richard Ellison
- True Blood (2010) – Franklin Mott
- The Cape (2011) – Peter Fleming/Chess
- Burn Notice (2011) – James Forte
- The Mentalist
- Grimm (2012–2013) – Eric Renard
- The White Queen (2013) – Lord Warwick, "the Kingmaker"
- Sleepy Hollow (2013) – Rutledge 
- The Tunnel (2013) – John Sumner
- Shameless (2013) – Frank's doctor (Season 3 Finale)
- Intruders (2014) – Richard Shepherd
- Agent Carter (2015) – Leet Brannis
- Orphan Black (2015–2017) – Ferdinand
- True Detective (2015) – Kevin Burris
- Gotham (2015–2016) – Theo Galavan/Azrael
- Star Trek: Discovery (2017–present) – Sarek
- "Battles, beddings and beheadings: Why The White Queen is the TV event of the summer", Mail Online, 15 June 2013. Accessed 2 July 2013
- "James Frain profile at". Filmreference.com. 14 March 1969. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- James Frain on IMDb
- "Leverage Season 3 Episode Guide "The King George Job"". TV.com.
- "The Tudors James Frain joins True Blood recurring Role". DreadCentral. Retrieved 2011-10-17.
- "Sleepy Hollow Exclusive: True Blood Baddie to Butt Heads With Ichabod". tvline.com.
- "'Orphan Black' Adds 'Shameless' Alum Justin Chatwin, James Frain For Season 3". variety.com.
- Nellie Andreeva (June 24, 2015). "'Gotham' Casts James Frain As Regular, Will Play New Villain & Tigress' Brother". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved July 23, 2015.
- "James Frain Joins Discovery As Sarek". Startrek.com. 2017-01-18. Retrieved 2017-01-18.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to James Frain.|