James Grimston, 3rd Earl of Verulam
James Walter Grimston, 3rd Earl of Verulam (11 May 1852 – 11 November 1924), known as Viscount Grimston from 1852 to 1895, was a British Conservative Party politician who sat in the House of Commons from 1885 to 1892. He inherited his peerage in 1895.
Grimston was the eldest son of James Walter Grimston, 2nd Earl of Verulam, and Elizabeth Joanna Weyland. He was educated at Harrow School and became a lieutenant in the 1st Life Guards. He became J.P. for Hertfordshire and captain in the Hertfordshire Yeoman Cavalry.
Lord Verulam married Margaret Frances Mackintosh, daughter of Sir Frederick Ulric Graham, 3rd Baronet and his wife Lady Jane Hermione Seymour (daughter of Edward Seymour, 12th Duke of Somerset), and widow of Alexander Aeneas Mackintosh, in 1878. They had six daughters and a son.
- Lady Helen Grimston (1879-1947)
- James Walter Grimston, 4th Earl of Verulam (1880-1949)
- Lady Hermione Grimston (1881-1924)
- Aline Grimston (1883-?)
- Elizabeth Grimston (1885-?)
- Lady Sibyl Grimston (1887-1968); married to Major Hon. Alastair Fraser, son of Simon Fraser, 13th Lord Lovat
- Vera Grimston (1890-?)
Lord Verulam died in November 1924, aged 72, and was succeeded in his titles by his son James. Lady Verulam died in 1927.
Scottish actor Rose Leslie is descended from Grimston.
- Lundy, Darryl. "p. 3161". The Peerage.[unreliable source]
- Debretts Guide to the House of Commons 1886
- Craig, F. W. S. (1989) . British parliamentary election results 1885–1918 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 297. ISBN 0-900178-27-2.
- "A military marriage: LADY SIBYL FRASER (née Grimston), ALASTAIR FRASER". The Sketch. Ingram Brothers. 89. 1915.
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990,[page needed]
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Earl of Verulam
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|New constituency||Member of Parliament for St Albans
1885 – 1892
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
James Walter Grimston
|Earl of Verulam
1895 – 1924
James Walter Grimston