||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (September 2011)|
November 6, 1941 |
|Alma mater||Windlesham House School
Bickley Hall, Kent
King's School, Canterbury
Exeter College, Oxford
|Employer||St. Stephen's Hospital
Having worked as a hospital orderly at St. Stephen's Hospital between 1966–1968, Paterson earned his first break in 1969 as a reporter for New Statesman until 1974 when he became features editor for Nova magazine.
Hamilton-Paterson is generally known as a commentator on the Philippines, where he has lived on and off since 1979. His novel Ghosts of Manila (1994) portrayed the Philippine capital in all its decay and violence and was highly critical of the Marcoses - a view he rescinded with the publication of America's Boy (1998), which sets the Marcos regime into the geopolitical context of the time.
In 1989, Gerontius was published, a reconstruction of a journey made by the composer Sir Edward Elgar along the River Amazon in 1923. Regarded by admirers as being among the best British novels of the 1980s, its poetic language, dreamlike landscapes and lush imaginings won him the Whitbread Award for first novel.
In 1992, he published Seven-Tenths, a far-ranging meditation upon the sea and its meanings. A mixture of art, science, history and philosophy, this book is a deep, abstract lament on loss and the loss of meaning.
- Option Three (1974)
- Dutch Alps (1984)
- The View from Mount Dog (1987)
- Gerontius (1989)
- The Bell Boy (American title: That Time in Malomba) (1990)
- Griefwork (1993)
- Ghosts of Manila (1994)
- The Music (1995)
- Loving Monsters (2002)
- Cooking with Fernet Branca (2004)
- Amazing Disgrace (2006)
- Rancid Pansies (2008)
- Under the Radar: A Novel (2013)
- Flight Underground (1969)
- The House in the Waves (1970)
- Hostage (1978)
- A very personal war: the story of Cornelius Hawkridge (1971)
- Mummies: Death and Life in Ancient Egypt with Carol Andrews, Collins for British Museum Publications, 1978, ISBN 0-00-195532-2
- Playing with Water (1987)
- Three Miles Down (1990), an account of an underwater search using the Mir submersibles.
- Seven-Tenths: the sea and its thresholds (1992)
- America's Boy (1998)
- Vom Meer (2010)
- Empire of the Clouds: When Britain's Aircraft Ruled the World (2010)
- Marked for Death: The First War in the Air (2015)
- Official website of James Hamilton-Paterson
- James Hamilton-Paterson at Granta.com
- James Hamilton-Paterson talking about 'Gerontius', ICA, 1989