James Ingram (academic)
James Ingram (21 December 1774 – 4 September 1850) was an English academic at the University of Oxford, who was Rawlinsonian Professor of Anglo-Saxon from 1803 to 1808 and President of Trinity College, Oxford from 1824 until his death.
Early life and education
Ingram was born on 21 December 1774 in the Wiltshire village of Codford St Mary. He was educated at Lord Weymouth's Grammar School and Winchester College before studying at Trinity College, Oxford. He obtained his Bachelor of Arts degree in 1796, his Master of Arts in 1800 and his Bachelor of Divinity in 1808.
Ingram taught at Winchester from 1799 to 1803, when he became a Fellow and tutor at Trinity College. He was Rawlinsonian Professor of Anglo-Saxon (1803 to 1808), Keeper of the Archives (1815 to 1818), and rector of Rotherfield Greys in Oxfordshire (1816 to 1824) before being appointed President of Trinity College in 1824. As President, he was also rector of Garsington, a village south of Oxford.
His academic interests in Anglo-Saxon and archaeology meant that he had little time to attend to the business of the College or University. His publications included an edition of the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle (1823), an edition of Quintilian (1809) and Memorials of Oxford (3 volumes, 1832 to 1837) with 100 illustrations by John Le Keux. He died at Trinity College on 4 September 1850, and left his books, pictures and coins to the College and Oxford University.
- The utiility of Anglo-Saxon literature: with King Alfred's Geography of Europe. 1807.
- The Saxon chronicle, with an English translation, and notes, critical and explanatory. 1823.
- Memorials of Oxford. 1837.
- Salter, H. E. and Lobel, Mary D. (eds.). "Trinity College". A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 3: The University of Oxford. Victoria County History, UK. pp. 238–251. Retrieved July 16, 2011.
- Chisholm 1911.
- Greenhill, W. A.; rev Haigh, John D. (October 2009). "Ingram, James (1774–1850)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press. Retrieved 1 September 2010.
- "Review of Memorials of Oxford by James Ingram". The Quarterly Review. 61: 203–238. January 1838.
- Works written by or about James Ingram at Wikisource
- Works by James Ingram at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about James Ingram at Internet Archive
|President of Trinity College, Oxford