James Johnson (basketball, born 1987)
|No. 3 – Toronto Raptors|
|Position||Small forward / Power forward|
February 20, 1987 |
|Listed height||6 ft 9 in (2.06 m)|
|Listed weight||250 lb (113 kg)|
|High school||Cheyenne East
|College||Wake Forest (2007–2009)|
|NBA draft||2009 / Round: 1 / Pick: 16th overall|
|Selected by the Chicago Bulls|
|2011||→Iowa Energy (D-League)|
|2013||Rio Grande Valley Vipers (D-League)|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at NBA.com|
James Patrick Johnson (born February 20, 1987) is an American professional basketball player who currently plays for the Toronto Raptors of the NBA. He was drafted 16th overall in the 2009 NBA draft by the Chicago Bulls. Johnson was the starting power forward for the Demon Deacons of Wake Forest University from 2007–2009. He declared his eligibility for the 2009 NBA draft following his sophomore year. Johnson is listed as 6 ft 9 in (2.06 m) and 250 lb (112 kg).
- 1 High school career
- 2 College career
- 3 Professional career
- 4 NBA career statistics
- 5 Personal life
- 6 References
- 7 External links
High school career
As a freshman at Wake Forest in 2007–08, Johnson had an instant impact, garnering third team All-ACC honors as a freshman and finishing second in the 2008 ACC Rookie of the Year balloting, as he led the Demon Deacons in scoring and rebounding.
As a sophomore, Johnson again led the team in rebounding, leading the team to a 24-5 record and a #1 ranking during the 2008–09 season. He was again named third team All-ACC. Following the season, Johnson declared his eligibility for the 2009 NBA draft.
|2007–08||Wake Forest Demon Deacons||30||14.6||8.1||1.2||1.4||1.3||.487||.280||.689||29.2||2.6|
|2008–09||Wake Forest Demon Deacons||31||15.0||8.5||2.0||1.4||1.5||.542||.319||.697||30.5||2.4|
Chicago Bulls (2009–2011)
Johnson was drafted 16th overall by the Chicago Bulls in the 2009 NBA draft. On July 8, 2009, he signed his first professional contract with the Bulls. On January 27, 2011, Johnson was assigned to the Iowa Energy of the NBA D-League. On February 14, 2011, he was recalled by the Bulls.
Toronto Raptors (2011–2012)
Sacramento Kings (2012–2013)
Atlanta Hawks (2013)
Rio Grande Valley Vipers (2013)
Memphis Grizzlies (2013–2014)
Return to Toronto (2014–present)
On December 19, 2014 in Detroit, after Johnson's dunk on Andre Drummond made it 95-75 midway through the fourth, on Toronto's next possession, Drummond smashed into Johnson with a forearm and hip smash. This set off a melee that saw Drummond get a flagrant foul and four technicals called. Following the game, Johnson said "That was nasty, but that's basketball. I don't expect anything less from anybody that's trying to win. Frustration sets in when you want to win – no hard feelings."
On February 21, 2015, Johnson scored a career-high 27 points in the 76-98 loss to the Houston Rockets.
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
Johnson holds a second-degree black belt and fought in his first mixed martial arts bout at aged 18. He has an undefeated record in seven MMA matches, while also holding a 20-0 record in kickboxing matches. He has a tattoo of his son's name, "Naymin", inscribed around his front neck.
Johnson was arrested for domestic assault on June 7, 2014 after allegedly hitting and choking his wife, Callie, at their home. On June 30, 2014, the domestic assault case against Johnson was dismissed after his wife failed to appear in court. The couple later divorced each other, with Callie gaining custody of their son.
- James Johnson NBA & ABA Stats
- James Johnson Bio
- James Johnson – Yahoo! Sports
- BULLS ASSIGN JAMES JOHNSON TO D-LEAGUE
- Johnson rejoins Bulls after NBDL stint
- "Raptors Acquire Johnson From Chicago". NBA.com. February 22, 2011. Retrieved January 13, 2014.
- "KINGS ACQUIRE JAMES JOHNSON". NBA.com. July 16, 2012. Retrieved January 13, 2014.
- Atlanta Hawks fill up their training camp roster
- Atlanta Hawks waive James Johnson
- VIPERS SELECT JOHNSON AND HUNT IN FIRST ROUND OF NBA DEVELOPMENT LEAGUE DRAFT
- James Johnson D-League Stats
- Grizzlies sign James Johnson
- Raptors Sign James Johnson
- James Johnson Cocks the Hammer and Explodes on the Rim
- Raptors hand Pistons 12th straight home loss
- Brewer's 26 leads Rockets over Raptors 98-76
- "Son of Samoa makes it big at Wake Forest". samoanewsonline.com. June 22, 2009. Archived from the original on July 16, 2011.
- James Johnson – Samoan Bios
- They Call Him Bloodsport: James Johnson Kicks His Way Into the NBA
- Grizzlies' James Johnson arrested
- James Johnson's Domestic Assault Case Dismissed
- Raptors’ James Johnson maturing into role
- Career statistics and player information from NBA.com, or Basketball-Reference.com
- ESPN.com profile
- Wake Forest bio