James Johnston (Scottish musician)
|Birth name||James Robert Johnston|
|Born||25 April 1980|
|Origin||Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire, Scotland|
|Genres||Rock, alternative rock, progressive rock, nu prog, art rock|
|Instruments||Vocals, bass guitar, synth|
|Labels||Beggars Banquet, 14th Floor|
|Associated acts||Biffy Clyro, Marmaduke Duke|
James Robert Johnston (born 25 April 1980) is a bassist, vocalist, and songwriter, best known for his work with Scottish group Biffy Clyro. He is also known as Jim or Jimbo and sometimes signs his name as such.
Johnston was born and raised in Kilmarnock with his twin brother Ben (who became the drummer for Biffy Clyro), and his younger brother, Adam Johnston (who was Biffy Clyro's drum tech). The first gig he ever attended was Rancid at Glasgow Barrowlands in 1995, when he was fifteen.
Having previously played bass with schoolfriend Simon Neil and brother Ben Johnston in a band called Skrewfish in 1995, the trio moved to Glasgow, and were soon discovered by manager Dee Bahl, and then signed to Beggars Banquet, in 2001.
Musical equipment used
The following is a list of musical equipment used by James Johnston.
Johnston's basses are usually tuned to Biffy Clyro's preferred tuning of (DADG), but sometimes (BADG) for "Pause it and Turn It Up" and (CGCF) for "Living is a Problem Because Everything Dies", as well as "That Golden Rule", "The Captain" and "Got Wrong".
- Fender Jazz Bass – Lake Placid Blue USA model with upgraded pickups.
- Fender Jazz Bass – White USA model with tortoise shell plate.
- Fender Precision Bass
- Fender Jazz Bass - American Standard - Black and Sunburst
- Fender Precision Bass - American Standard - Olympic White
- Fender Jazz Bass - American Deluxe - Natural
- Ernie Ball MusicMan Stingray
- Rickenbacker 4003 - Mountains music video
- Squier Jazz Bass - Squier James Johnston Signature Jazz Bass - Lake Placid Blue
- Nik Huber Rietbergen Bass - Nik Huber Rietbergen Bass - Red
- Gibson Grabber - Black, used in some acoustic sessions
- Fender Jazz Bass - American Standard - Frost Metallic (Q-Awards Acoustic Set - Camden Jazz Cafe, London 2013)
- Tech21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI Preamp
- BOSS LS-2 Line Selector
- BOSS ODB-3 Overdrive
- BOSS TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
- Ashdown CTM-300 Head
- Ashdown ABM 900 Head
- Ashdown Classic Cabinets
- Eden World Tour WT550 Amplifier Head
- Eden WTDI Preamp Di box
His tech is Dave White
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to James Johnston.|