||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
||This article may contain wording that promotes the subject through exaggeration of unnoteworthy facts. (January 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Birth name||James Jay Kannis|
|Born||5 November 1985|
|Genres||Hip hop, R&B, Pop|
James John Kannis (born 5 November 1985) is a Greek-Australian singer who participated in the reality television talent show, Australian Idol. Kannis was placed in seventh position, eliminated on 17 October 2005.
Kannis had auditioned for Australian Idol in Sydney by singing a song, "A Dollar Away", which he composed with his step father, producer Sammy K. The three judges responded with positive comments, Marcia Hines stated that she thought Kannis has "got a really good future in this industry".
During his Top 30 performance, he performed, "Change the World", originally by Babyface, and although the judges provided positive feedback, he did not reach the Top 12. He returned to perform in the "Wildcard" round singing, "Drift Away", and became the "Judges Choice" and the first "Wildcard" to be put through to the Final 12.
James Kannis later signed with Zeus Records/Shock. His debut album, Angels on a Hot Tin Roof, which takes inspiration from many genres of music including hip-hop, orchestral and dance, was produced in Australia by Sammy K and mastered in New York by Tom Coyne (Destiny's Child, Pink) is due for release in early 2007.
His debut single, "Love 2 Love", which was released on 11 November 2006 peaked at #22 on the ARIA Physical Singles Chart. It reached No. 35 on the ARIA Singles Chart, making him the only independent Australian artist in the ARIA Top 40 on 4 December. On 2 April 2007, "Love 2 Love", re-entered the ARIA Chart at No. 35. It peaked on the ARIA Physical Singles Chart at #17 after Kannis' appearance at a Greek Music Festival in Australia during March. This was three-and-a-half months after it left the Australian Chart in the first place. "Love 2 Love" also topped the Australian Indie charts. Kannis' second single is also due out just prior to the release of the album Angels on a Hot Tin Roof.
James Kannis' Australian Idol performances were:
- Sydney Auditions: A Dollar Away by James Kannis
- Theatre Round Day One: Don't Let Go (Love) by En Vogue
- Theatre Round Day Two: Stayin' Alive by Bee Gees (with Rocky Loprevite & Cameron Avery)
- Theatre Round Day Three: Walking In Memphis by Marc Cohn
- Semi Final (Group 3): Change the World by Babyface & Eric Clapton
- Wildcards: Drift Away by Michael Bolton
- Top 13: Australian Hits – The Day You Went Away by Wendy Matthews
- Top 11: 1960s Theme – Hold On, I'm Coming! by Sam & Dave
- Top 10: Rock Supergroups – Layla by Eric Clapton
- Top 9: Idols' Choice – Love the One You're With by Luther Vandross
- Top 8: Big Band Night – Sway by Michael Bublé
- Top 7: 1980s Theme – Truly by Lionel Richie
Kannis was the lead vocalist of Sydney-based band, the Julius Set.