||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2012)|
||This article may contain wording that promotes the subject through exaggeration of unnoteworthy facts. (January 2012)|
|Birth name||James Jay Kannis|
|Born||5 November 1985|
|Genres||Hip hop, R&B, Pop|
|Labels||Shock Records (2006–2007)|
James John Kannis (born 5 November 1985) is a Greek-Australian singer who was well known for participating in the reality television show Australian Idol. Kannis was placed in seventh position, eliminated on 17 October 2005.
Kannis auditioned for Australian Idol in Sydney singing a song he composed with his step father, producer Sammy K, "A Dollar Away". The three judges responded with positive comments, Marcia Hines stating that she thought Kannis has "got a really good future in this industry".
During his Top 30 performance, he performed "Change the World" by Babyface, and although the judges provided positive feedback, he did not reach the Top 12. He returned to perform in the "Wildcard" round singing "Drift Away", and became the "Judges Choice" and the first "Wildcard" to be put through to the Final 12.
James Kannis is currently signed with ZEUS Records/SHOCK. His debut album Angels on a Hot Tin Roof, which takes inspiration from many genres of music including hip-hop, orchestral and dance, was Produced in Australia by Sammy K and Mastered in New York by world-renowned Tom Coyne (Destiny's Child, Pink) is due for release in early 2007. His debut single "Love 2 Love" which was released on 11 November 2006 peaked at #22 on the ARIA Physical Singles Chart and #35 in the "Weighted" ARIA Singles Chart, making him the only true independent Australian artist in the Aria Top 40 on 4 December. On 2 April 2007, "Love 2 Love" re-entered the ARIA Chart at #35 and ARIA Physical Singles Chart at #17 after Kannis' appearance at a Greek Music Festival in Australia during March 2007. This was 3.5 months after the song left the Australian Chart in the first place. "Love 2 Love" also topped the Australian Indie charts. Kannis' second single is also due out just prior to the release of the album Angels on a Hot Tin Roof.
James Kannis' Australian Idol performances were:
- Sydney Auditions: A Dollar Away by James Kannis
- Theatre Round Day One: Don't Let Go (Love) by En Vogue
- Theatre Round Day Two: Stayin' Alive by Bee Gees (with Rocky Loprevite & Cameron Avery)
- Theatre Round Day Three: Walking In Memphis by Marc Cohn
- Semi Final (Group 3): Change the World by Babyface & Eric Clapton
- Wildcards: Drift Away by Michael Bolton
- Top 13: Australian Hits – The Day You Went Away by Wendy Matthews
- Top 11: 1960s Theme – Hold On, I'm Coming! by Sam & Dave
- Top 10: Rock Supergroups – Layla by Eric Clapton
- Top 9: Idols' Choice – Love the One You're With by Luther Vandross
- Top 8: Big Band Night – Sway by Michael Bublé
- Top 7: 1980s Theme – Truly by Lionel Richie
James now sings in Sydney based band The Julius Set
- "Love 2 Love" (11 November 2006) ARIA#35