James Lindsay, 5th Earl of Balcarres
James Lindsay, 5th Earl of Balcarres (14 November 1691 – 20 February 1768) was a Scottish peer, the son of Colin, 3rd Earl of Balcarres and Lady Margaret Campbell, daughter of the Earl of Loudoun. He became the 5th Earl of Balcarres on 25 July 1736 on the death of his brother Alexander Lindsay, 4th Earl of Balcarres.
He joined the Royal Navy at the age of 13 and served in it for 12 years. On his return to Scotland he was persuaded to join his father in the 1715 Jacobite Rising and took part in the inconclusive Battle of Sheriffmuir. After the suppression of the uprising he was forced to hide for some time in a secret chamber at the nearby castle of Newark until his aunt secured him a pardon. He then joined the army of George I and fought in the War of the Austrian Succession, being present at the Battle of Dettingen in 1743, and the Battle of Fontenoy in 1745.
After he left the army, his prospects limited by his past allegiances, he concentrated on improving the house and estate farms at Balcarres.
Marriage and family
On 24 October 1749, at the age of 58, he married in Edinburgh the 22-year-old Anne Dalrymple, daughter of Sir Robert Dalrymple, with whom he had eight sons and three daughters:
- Lady Anne Lindsay (1750–1825), poet, married Andrew Barnard, without issue.
- Alexander Lindsay, 6th Earl of Balcarres (1752–1825), married Elizabeth Dalrymple, and had issue.
- Lady Margaret Lindsay (1753–1814), married firstly Alexander Fordyce, without issue. Married secondly Sir James Lamb, 1st Baronet, without issue.
- Hon. Robert Lindsay (1754–1836), married Elizabeth Dick, and had issue.
- Colin Lindsay (1755–1795), an Army Officer, died in action in Grenada.
- James Stair Lindsay (1758–1783), an Army officer, killed at Cuddalore. Unmarried.
- William Lindsay (1759–1785), drowned in St Helena.
- Rt. Rev. Hon. Charles Dalrymple Lindsay (1760–1846), married firstly Elizabeth Fudell, and had issue. Married secondly Catherine Coussmaker, and had issue.
- Lt-Col. Hon. John Lindsay (1762–1826), married Lady Charlotte North, daughter of Frederick North, 2nd Earl of Guilford, without issue.
- Lady Elizabeth Lindsay (1763–1858), married Philip Yorke, 3rd Earl of Hardwicke, and had issue.
- Hon. Hugh Lindsay (1765–1844), married Jane Duff-Gordon, daughter of Hon. Alexander Gordon, Lord Rockville,and had issue.
He died on 20 February 1768 at age 76 at Balcarres, Fife, Scotland, where he was buried. His title was inherited by his eldest son Alexande Lindsay, 6th Earl of Balcarres.
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]
- The Balcarres history
- "Lady Anne Lindsay". Clan Lindsay.
|Peerage of Scotland|
|Earl of Balcarres